New 6.0 autopilot tuning

johnsteichen

Beginning to orient myself to the new autopilot software.
It appears that the settings on the autopilot are the settings that are left over from previous autopilot 5.x setup.
Do I reset every thing back to the recommended defaults before I start, or do I use my previous settings as the beginning point? :eek:

Ken_Kopp

John,

During development we tried a bunch of different methods. Personally, I entered really screwy AP values and used the tuning guide which resulted in convergence on settings which worked very well. So bottom line I don't think it will matter provided you study the guide a bit and follow it closely in flight..you'll end up with a very well performing and highly tuned AP. Good luck.

Ken

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Actually, we do recommend that you reset to the defaults (the guide recommends this) for ideal tuning. Jot down (or perform a settings export) your previous values in case you end up wanting to go back to them (we predict you won't want to :) )

hstaton

Possibly a bit of thread drift, but with the VNAV capabilities of 6.0, I would like to know if Dynon can provide a list of the TSOd GPS devices it can talk to that will provide the info necessary.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The short list is the WAAS-enabled versions of the GNS and GTN series of GPS/NAV/COMS (via ARINC-429 connection), and the SL30 and the new GNC NAV/COMS from Garmin (those get you ILS guidance only, obviously, since they don't have GPSes in them).

st8frm

I love flying!
I am confused about several of the new Expert AP features:
#1: Why are the Bugs (VS, IAS, Alt Hold) set at the aircraft's current performance after takeoff? If I want to fly at 108 Kts IAS to an altitude of 9000', why can't I establish these parameters on the ground before takeoff? Why, when I have other distractions, do I need to re-set my bugs after leaving the ground & may be in IMC? Even the Simplified AP setup lets you preselect an altitude & VS rate of your choice prior to takeoff.
#2: Why won't changing the Altitude bug when in Alt Hold mode change to the next selected altitude? Why do I need to push another button to enter into another function to do what used to be done by staying in the same function?  This should be an option in the set up menu (At the very least)
#3: This one is just a question for a function I can't figure out.  In VNAV mode, why must your altitude be BELOW the glideslope/VNAV profile. Why must the glideslope indicator start off showing you are already to low on the approach? Seems like your prior altitude should be at least level with highest part of the glideslope where it can be intercepted. I'm sure I'm wrong on this, just put the reason down low so I can understand it. But I still don't like not being able to preselect my IAS, VS or Altitude while still on the ground.  Thanks for letting me ramble.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
#1:
IAS or VS is always set to the current aircraft speed/rate when engaged. Anything else would cause a HUGE jerk up or down upon engagement in order to achieve the speed/rate you selected. It could also lead to a descent when you wanted a climb. You will not find another AP that allows pre-section of IAS before engagement. IAS captures where you are. So set up the airspeed of the plane where you want before you engage.

Your alt bug is not changed when you take off. You can pre-set this.

When you engage the AP it keeps doing what the plane is doing. Set the altitude before take off. Take off, get to the IAS or VS you want for the climb, activate the AP (which you can do by just pressing and holding the disconnect switch) and it will climb until the altitude you selected. This is exactly what you want since there will be no surprises when you turn the AP on. The last thing you want in IMC is to have the airspeed set too high for your power so that when you engage the AP just forces the nose over.

The simplified AP does not allow pre-selection of airspeed or heading. It always syncs to the current altitude and heading when you engage it.

#2:
Again, this is the way IFR autopilots work. This allows you to pre-select an altitude while in flight before the plane goes to that altitude, just like you wanted to pre-select an altitude when on the ground. This way you can be level at 9,000, pre-select a descent to 2,000, and not have the plane start the descent until you ask. Plus, what vertical speed or IAS would it use to go to the new altitude? The simple rule is that the advanced AP will not climb or descend until you tell it how to. IAS or VS, and a target speed/rate. The altitude bug is actually just the altitude it stops doing something at.  It does take one more button press, but it gives you the flexibility you need when in a real IFR environment. 

#3:
No AP in the world allows you to intercept a glideslope from above. An AP will not "dive" onto a glideslope, just like you are not supposed to dive onto a glideslope when hand flying. You choose a safe terminal altitude, and fly that until you intercept the glideslope. That's just the way IFR procedures work.

Additionally, the AP has no idea at all how far above the glideslope you are since it doesn't know how far away you are. For all it knows it would need to dive at 10,000 FPM to hit the GS.

If you set up a vertical speed or IAS that causes you to descend onto the GS, it will capture that way, but choosing the VS or IAS with which to descend is up to the pilot, not the AP.

mr.sun

I was flying the new 6.0 autopilot yesterday and would like to know how to descend to a specific altitude and hold it while hand flying a heading. Specifically, go to a location and perform turns about a point to take photos. I couldn't make it work using either the VFR or IFR autopilot.

led

Greg,

In the IFR Mode, go to AUTOPILOT->ROLL and press the button corresponding to the active roll mode to disable it.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Additionally, the simplified mode does not allow single axis engagement so you won't be able to do it in that mode.

In advanced mode, you can do what Lawrence said, or you can use ROLL hold mode to just hold you in a constant bank ;)