New D30

tcbc8222

I like the look of the new D30. Is it “plug n play” with the old one? I purchased mine in 2022.

Bill Putney

I like the look of the new D30. Is it “plug n play” with the old one? I purchased mine in 2022.
I looked at the install manual and it only shows pins 1 & 3 used on the DB24 for power and ground. Physically there is one little notch to file at the bottom of the 3-1/8" hole in the panel to accommodate a lock of some sort. There is a bracket that goes behind the panel and picks up the mounting holes from the D10A. Once that bracket is installed, you can get the D30 out from in front of the panel with just one screw to release it (If you've left enough pitot/static/aoa lines and a loop in the wire to the DB25).

It doesn't look like all of the other features (like serial GPS or SL30 or Alt serial encoder) were implemented. But then, those don't show up in the wiring for the D10A in the Certified Install Manual).

WorkingWarbirds

It does looks nice, hopefully they follow on with implementing features to make it competitive with G and UAv brands rather than just a "dumb" flight instrument. We've been waiting for a follow on to the D10a for a long time, and other than it being a better looking backup for the Skyview system, I'm pretty underwhelmed.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Electrically and pneumatically, yes.

Physically, you need to add a notch to the bottom of the 3-1/8" hole to accommodate the mounting screw from the D30 that attaches to the bracket.

Mooney231

I think we need to give Dynon some credit for coming up with a replacement for the D10 even if it does not have all the UAv features. I find the D10 to be underwhelming, particularly the screen quality, and I don't spend too much time dealing with it. The D30 might be something I look at more often. If Dynon is listening: the biggest issue with the D30 is no heading information - that seems like a big miss and I hope it can be added in the future. I guess an ipad with foreflight and the D30 would get me out of a situation if HDX failed. Dynon - a flush mount kit would also be great. As an alternate, Dynon - how about certifying UAv as a backup to HDX? Now that would be cool.

aggiepack

You really expect Dynon to consider the certification of a competitor's product as a back-up? Where is the benefit for Dynon? Why should they invest time and money for the sake of loosing revenues?

Mooney231

Hi aggiepack,

Of course I don't. I'm just trying to poke Dynon to up their game. I'm fully invested in Dynon (and very happy with HDX) and would like to see them improve their gear as much as possible. It's just that being invested in the Dynon systems does not mean we should settle for less.

You listening, Dynon?

Brent Dana

When I found out about this updated d30, I was told that there would be a trade in option and for about 500.00 we could upgrade? Not the case now it seems? hmmmm

tcbc8222

In reviewing the D10 wiring, there is 2 power pins and 2 ground pins. If I just plug into the D30, I would assume the extra power pin would not matter.

Brent Dana

There seems to be a LOT of Bitching at DYNON these days.

In running a business, We must realize that as we try to bring a product to our customers everybody is running full blast trying to do our best. It seems to me that this forum was designed to help with issues that come about from the processes, and the updates. how easy it is to put a . in writing code, not to mention having to deal with the DEEP STATE FAA, stopping and delaying everything along the way, as they fast track other competitors products thru the process. I just want to be on the record. I love the Dynon Product, and appreciate how tough this industry must be. I have used lots of flight systems and this one is by far the simplest and most intuitive I have ever used. Trying to use a garmin 430 is the bane of my system now, and the Avydine replacement is $12,000.00. Just crazy!!!! wish we could grab the glideslope on my Dynon and be done with outside instruments.

Did I mention I want my Autopilot for an E Bonanza. I have a machine company ready and willing, and they can design the bracketry that would work for 35 thru N Bonanza"s... but without the faa approval we have nothing!!!

Bill Putney

Brent,

I think anyone who spends much time on these forums is gong to see a lot of "I wish Dynon would..." stuff. Most of it (IMHO) is like the view of the progress of a favored child. It's hard to see the child struggling, for whatever reason, and not say anything. And, like a favored child, they need our support and understanding.

We all wish Dynon the best, but we stand outside the system and see stumbles and decisions we don't understand. I know a lot of it is traceable to the seemingly arbitrary way the FAA operates. Part of it gets chalked up to what we wish Dynon would do for our particular airplane type, but no matter what, market forces say the C172 is going to get there first.

We've all suffered the slings and arrows of the Garmin monopoly. Dynon, on the whole, is so much better philosophically, than Garmin. Nobody wants to see Garmin be the only game in town again and i cringe every time someone gives up on Dynon and goes over to the dark side.

If you look back through my posts I think I try not to be too critical of Dynon's choices, because I recognize I don't have all the information or understand all the constraints Dynon management has to work under. I have made suggestions both here and in person to various Dynon people. But, my point is most frequently how to make Dynon a stronger competitor because I want them to stick around and even be a model for a more open and vibrant avionics market. I try not to be to whiny about why my type that only has 500 flying examples is so far down the list. But, I guess I have more than one favored child.

Last edited:

tcbc8222

Electrically and pneumatically, yes.

Physically, you need to add a notch to the bottom of the 3-1/8" hole to accommodate the mounting screw from the D30 that attaches to the bracket.
Is the D10 back up battery the same for the D30? I will be placing my order and want to order all of the necessary items.

JohnAJohnson

I love flying!
You really expect Dynon to consider the certification of a competitor's product as a back-up? Where is the benefit for Dynon? Why should they invest time and money for the sake of loosing revenues?
Because the battery backed up D10 is an attitude, altitude, and airspeed backup for the HDX and is in no way connected to the HDX, it seems it would be easy to get a field approval for any third party battery backed up certified PFD with primary attitude, altitude, and airspeed. It makes no sense why I couldn't use a certified G5 or AV-30 instead of a D10, and I would be interested in hearing if anyone has done this. I am curious because I don't have room for a second backup, and currently my only way to a full featured affordable (sort of) autopilot (GFC500) is by having a G5 installed.

Rhino

Is the D10 back up battery the same for the D30? I will be placing my order and want to order all of the necessary items.

The part numbers look different. You should ask Dynon.

Carl_Froehlich

I hate to say, but without heading information I’ll pass on the D30. The AV-30 will be the default option to go with the new SkyView HDX project.

Carl
Loyal Dynon guy since 2006.

Rhino

I hate to say, but without heading information I’ll pass on the D30. The AV-30 will be the default option to go with the new SkyView HDX project.

When did the AV-30 get approved as a standby for the certified HDX?

M20Driver

Brent,

I think anyone who spends much time on these forums is gong to see a lot of "I wish Dynon would..." stuff. Most of it (IMHO) is like the view of the progress of a favored child. It's hard to see the child struggling, for whatever reason, and not say anything. And, like a favored child, they need our support and understanding.

We all wish Dynon the best, but we stand outside the system and see stumbles and decisions we don't understand. I know a lot of it is traceable to the seemingly arbitrary way the FAA operates. Part of it gets chalked up to what we wish Dynon would do for our particular airplane type, but no matter what, market forces say the C172 is going to get there first.

We've all suffered the slings and arrows of the Garmin monopoly. Dynon, on the whole, is so much better philosophically, than Garmin. Nobody wants to see Garmin be the only game in town again and i cringe every time someone gives up on Dynon and goes over to the dark side.

If you look back through my posts I think I try not to be too critical of Dynon's choices, because I recognize I don't have all the information or understand all the constraints Dynon management has to work under. I have made suggestions both here and in person to various Dynon people. But, my point is most frequently how to make Dynon a stronger competitor because I want them to stick around and even be a model for a more open and vibrant avionics market. I try not to be to whiny about why my type that only has 500 flying examples is so far down the list. But, I guess I have more than one favored child.
Just to further my believing G and the FAA are in bed with eachother.. (look at which big investment firms owns G, and trace that back) The A/P just got approved for the Beech T34 Mentor I maintain and fly for a friend ,126 total flying I believe (A,B,and C models combined). That project started early this year. It must be nice to have no barriers