New expansion module

PilotKris

Ouch...
So much valuing end user input...

Not to bust your designers bubble, but here is an idea right off the top of my head for a way to make a smaller footprint.

Since the functions most users are wanting are Nav Source Select, Course Select and Heading Select, all that would be needed would be a single coaxial knob with push switch (ala Garmin 430/530). The outer knob for course, the inner for heading and push for nav source selection.

While this would not allow for any annunciation, who needs it? One only needs to look at the HSI to see what is selected.

There you have it, all of the most desired functions in less than one square inch of panel space.

lgingell

I would even like to be able to use an EMS GP input wired to my own 'value' knob, since I don't need the others, but a knob would be nice. Maybe that's something to consider?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I think if you read the rest of this forum you'll know we greatly value user input. The latest software release, and the release of the HS34 makes that clear. These are all functions people have been asking for. You'll also know that Dynon focuses on the price / performance ratio of all of our products, and we take very seriously how we design products and how they will sell into our market.

Concentric encoders like the ones in the Garmin 430 cost about $40-$70 each, so we can't afford them in a $600 product. We looked into them.

If you wanted to source your own knob, then you could wire it into our HS34 panel pretty easily and hide the HS34 panel somewhere. If you have some electronics knowledge, it would be really obvious how to do this once you got the HS34 apart.

We can't use the GP inputs as value knob inputs. These knobs have two digital outputs and they can spin around forever. They give up/down indications, not absolute position indications.

meljordan

Personally, the HS34 gives me exactly what I need, separate course and heading knobs, plus clear source selection and identification. The size, designed to fit next to a D100, D120 or D180 is a perfect way to house all the ARNIC 429 and other functions. I believe that most builders will have very little difficulty finding space in their panels for this unit given all the space saved by the Dynon units over the standard flight and engine instruments. While there may be corner case exceptions, I understand the need to design products that provide maximum capability to the majority of potential customers. I know that Dynon really would like to meet every customer's needs, but clearly it is not feasible to do so in every case. I think that just because Dynon does not say yes to every request that it doesn't mean they are not listening and considering every input. Clearly the HS34 addresses many many customer inputs and greatly enhances their products capabilities. A less functional product such as a single knob seems a step backward and probably not where I would like to see Dynon focusing engineering resources. Give me more, not less.

Mel Jordan
Tucson

PilotKris

I have read the rest of the forum and yes, as a whole, Dynon does seam responsive.
However, the response I got felt quite condescending. Especially considering that a later response gave the answer I was looking for. It seams that the expansion module could be modified to remotely mount the knobs and switches.

Since re-designing an already in-service instrument panel (which isn't even an option for a S-LSA) is not a very desirable option and many pilots would like the advantages of having knobs, why not offer (for an extra fee of course) to make those modifications in-house?

As for a "simpler" product being a step backward, it's not.

It would be a way to bring existing installed units up to the capabilities that the latest firmware updates provide. That way, the early purchasers of the products (to whom Dynon owes it's very existence) could benefit without being forced to spend hundreds of hours and tons of money redesigning and rebuilding. It would also allow new builders with limited panel a space a way to have the same benefits.

I already twisted the arm of my S-LSA manufacture for a complete re-design of the instrument panel and structure to accommodate the D180 (you're welcome Dynon). They aren't going to be very excited about doing it again to accommodate the HS34 too. But I'm sure they would be happy to drill a few extra holes to mount knobs and switches.

LarGriff

Is it possible to get a builder head start kit for the HS-34?  I've already got my D-100 and D-120 but haven't built my panel yet.  I'll definitely be starting on it before August and it would be great to have the mounting bracket and connector pinout now.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Unfortunately not. It won't be until around August that we're ready to start sending out any hardware (including mounting parts).