New Feature Request: Propeller Redline Alarm

647jc

It would be beneficial if the EMS could provide a seperate Propeller Redline / Alarm function. My engine / propeller combination has a redline of 2600 RPM on the propeller and 2700 RPM on the engine. I would like to comfigure the EMS to provide an alarm at 2600 RPM for the Propeller. Currently I have set the engine redline to 2600 RPM which provides me the alarm however this perturbs the percent of engine power calculation and display. Would be nice if EMS could be configured with two seperate values, one for propeller and one for engine or perhaps a seperate field to specify engine RPM for 100% power.

PhantomPholly

Looking at installation manual on page 6-8, it looks like it is possible to have an audio alarm activated. I know it starts flashing if it goes into the yellow or up to the red, and the color changes as well.

647jc

There doesn''t seem to be a page 6-8 in the current EMS installation manual. Are you saying there IS a way to set an RMP audio alarm without modifying the engine redline value?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It depends if you are looking at the D10, D120, or D180 manual as to what pages things will be on, since we don't have just one EMS install manual.

In any case, there is not a way to set a different redline on the graphical tach and a redline used by the % power calculation. We will consider this for future software updates, but it is honestly not likely to make it unless a lot more people ask.

Phantom mis-read your post as just wanting to have a audio alarm on engine RPM, which is possible, but it's not possible to split that setting from the RPM used for % power.

PhantomPholly

Correct - my bad.

On the other hand, if your prop is limited to 2600 then 2600 IS "100% power" for your plane - you will just need to get into the performance charts to see what hp 2600 represents and thus what 100% is for your installation. The only real downside to this is that if you are using tach time to calculate maintenance intervals then you will end up performing said maintenance a little more often...

Alfio

I will add my 2 cents...  that I would like to see that option as well. The Lycoming o-320 with fixed pitch Sensenich propeller is a popular option for the Vans RV-6/7/9 series (maybe other models as well). This propeller does have a 2600 rpm redline, but has great performance.

Please consider adding your 'name' to this request list, so that Dynon can see that there is in fact interest in this feature.

Alfio
RV-9A fp Sensenich 0-320

N930RV

I'll add my name to the list of interested parties for then red line being adjusted seperatly from the max engine RPM.  I realize that the 2600 rpm prop redline represents the max power you actually see but for  leaning process actual nameplate power can be used. Since Lycoming says that you can lean as much as you want as long as your below 75% that would mean 75% of say 160hp as opposed to 75% of the 155hp @ 2600 rpm.  Only a little difference but still a difference.  One possibility might be to have a software option to either use the original lookup table for your engine used in earlier software versions or opt for using rpm to calculate % power.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The only real downside to this is that if you are using tach time to calculate maintenance intervals then you will end up performing said maintenance a little more often...

The nominal tach time and the redline setting are totally independent. Your tach time accumulates at the same rate even if you change your redline.

davemgill

This is something I had previously asked for when the change was made in 5.0 to use the RPM redline for the power calc. So please add me to the list.