New (Revision I-July 2017) RV-9 roll servo install

alpinelakespilot20

I'm installing a roll servo in my RV-9 and have questions, particularly because it's the newer Revision I version that appears to have changed significantly in both the parts list and orientation of installed hardware.  I'm having trouble finding pictures of installed servos using this revision to confirm I'm understanding the instructions correctly.

1.  Per Revision I instructions, the rod end bearing is supposed to be connected between the servo actuator and the servo body.  [In previous revisions it seems the rod end was installed on the side opposite the servo body.] The clearance this leaves between the end of the thin nut and body of the servo is exceedingly small, at best maybe the thickness of a thin AN960 washer.  It appears consistent with the drawings, and doesn't rub, but it is uncomfortably close.  Normal?
3011ppe.jpg

2.  The large area washer is what contacts the limiting bracket and thus stops the rotation of the servo arm.  Normal?
5p34hl.jpg

3.  Finally, the drawings indicate that the servo actuator end uses a "thin male rod end" bearing while the bellcrank end uses a "standard male rod end".  Confusing me about which is which is that the one that has the widest housing has the thinnest bearing, while the one with the relatively narrow housing has a much thicker bearing.  Dynon provides two part #'s: 100836-000 (standard male rod end) and 100836-001 (thin male rod end).  Which is which?  Here's a picture of what I first assumed to be the "thin" rod end because of its thin housing, but its bearing was too fat to fit between the servo arm and the servo body.  Thus, I'm assuming this is the "standard" bearing?
jqkt55.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Consider not installing the servo stop if your aileron airframe stops keep the lever from going over center. I don't have the stop installed on either servo on my RV-7A for this reason.

davedubb

1. This appears to be the correct installation of the rod end on the servo arm.

2. The Limiting Bracket should not be used as a control surface stop. It is a device intended to keep the installer from incorrectly installing the servo in an "Over Center" configuration. The little angle you loose by having the washer contact the bracket first is not a concern. As I'm sure you know the aircraft hard stops should be used for control surface throw limitations.

3. You are correct. The "thinner" bearing rod end is what is being referred to in the installation guide.

As always feel free to contact Dynon support with any questions. We are always glad to help.

alpinelakespilot20

Just a follow up regarding my question 1 above. Don replied by email and did a mock-up and found that inserting the bolt through the servo arm from the opposite direction gave substantially better clearance with the servo motor.  I installed the bolt accordingly and agree it provides much better clearance.  Thanks Don!