New Skyview Transponder and Traffic

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You can enable ground mode from the SkyView menus. It also responds to ground interrogations in the ALT mode.

The TSO's for Mode-S transponders require that if you use the squat switch, it must be a physical switch that accurately reflects the aircraft's on ground status automatically. It cannot be a switch on the panel or an airspeed switch.

cperry

Wow, its a good thing its got that 25pin connector! With four pins too hook up, its almost running out of room! lol

Thanks for the diagram! We'll be putting one of these in for sure.

skysailor

You can enable ground mode from the SkyView menus. It also responds to ground interrogations in the ALT mode.

The TSO's for Mode-S transponders require that if you use the squat switch, it must be a physical switch that accurately reflects the aircraft's on ground status automatically. It cannot be a switch on the panel or an airspeed switch.

The fact that it correctly answers FAA requirements meets the needs I was concerned with. Fortunately, my kit already has a squat switch. I will just need to add another function.

llacy

The ZAON works quite well you can get aircraft in the traffic pattern 1000 ft above the ground because most of the time you have Commercial aircraft overhead using Mode S which triggers the ZAON. I just returned from Colorado and got most traffic in the mountains
Lou Lacy

dbuds2

Top Secret Future SkyView Com Radio

So how long should I put off buying a SL30 in the hopes of the new SkyView com radio?????

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You should wait until you are ready to install a radio, and then buy what is on the market. And you should hold off installing as long as you can.

We'd argue that is true of ALL avionics. We've seen a lot of unused EFIS units that have sat in boxes for 5+ years as life got in the way of finishing a kit.

swatson999

Will I need an external "Ident" button, or will one of the SkyView buttons do that for me?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You can IDENT from the SkyView buttons, or install an IDENT switch somewhere in the plane.

llacy

How is the Zaon XRX wired/connected to the Skyview. I have the blue tooth module on my XRX but don't know how to connect to the Skyview
Lou Lacy

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Hmmm - not familiar with that setup. That's going to be a question for the Zaon folks. Fundamentally, SkyView needs a wired serial connection from the Zaon, just like any other devices that can receive data from the Zaon.

llacy

I just talked to the tech people at Zaon and they tell me they are waiting for the information from you about the wireing from the XRX to the Skyview. He said he expected some information at the AOPA expo next week
Lou Lacy

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
So we've actually heard from them already. The deal is that SkyView is no different than an X96 - it needs a serial input, with the Zaon set to output the Garmin data. So you basically wire it the same way you would to an X96, connecting their serial output to any of our serial inputs.

legacy

What is the pin out for wiring the Garmin 330 to the Skyview for TIS information, I can't seem to find this.  To the best of my knowledge this information is exchanged with the G-330 on the ARINC 429 lines.  Does it also work on the RS-232 out of the G-330?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
SkyView only receives TIS via serial port. So it's simply connecting the GTX 330's serial transmit to any of SkyView's serial receives. Since you'll also probably be sending serial altitude to the 330 from SkyView, this means that both directions of one of SkyView's serial ports will be going to the 330.