New Topic for New Info, DSAB Fails on a cold start

Brantel

The issue with my DSAB is unrelated to the battery charger and seems to be not just specific to the AP74 so I have created a new thread for the new info that has been gathered over the past few days.

I have determined and can recreate this issue 100% of the time when the units have been offline for 24hours in a cold 25-35°F hangar.

I have a D100, D120, HS34, AP74.  Wiring, pins, connectors have all been checked about 5 times and have been verified good by an ohm meter to less than .01 ohms.

Battery power only with no charger attached and voltage at 12.5 to 13 volts at power up.

DSAB bus is configured with 4 devices all reporting active and each with their roles assigned normally.  Data does flow in all directions and the AP74 and HS34 do what they are suppose to.

When the issue happens, on startup afer approximately 1 minute, most of the time the EMS will give a Network connection lost message and the HS34 and AP74 lights will all come on brite.  Sometimes the Efis will do the same and sometimes it will never report anything.  All data transfer stops.

Sometimes I will also get 4 "instrument function" connection lost messages.

The coms will never return on their own without one of the following:

1. power the system down and back up and all will work well for a time then the same thing happens.  This will repeat until the units warm up and then it will not do it again period.

2. Reconfigure the DSAB bus and it will find 4 devices and go right back to working normally and then the same thing happens.  This will repeat until the units warm up and then it will not do it again period.

The fact that this issue only happens after a cold soak and only about a minute after startup and is 100% repeatable....I think that pretty much rules out wiring or connection issues.  After they warm up, I have ran them hours without any issues.

Now how do I move forward to determine which unit is causing the issue? It is difficult to isolate due to the fact that after a few tries, the issue goes away.

Someone please tell me that the DASB is normally more robust than this!!!!

DBRV10

Re: New Topic for New Info, DSAB Fails on a cold s

I wonder is one unit has a open joint when its really cold. I have seen this on some Emerson Servo gear once!

You could try the warm up sequence with one item removed each day.... :eek:

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

DSAB is normally robust than this. It does sound like you might have a unit that is more temperature senstive - this dose happen very rarely. Please give us a call at 425-402-0433.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

David's idea is sane too to help isolate the offending device.

Brantel

Thanks support... Mike H has already issued be a RMA and the entire system will be on its way to you first of the week.

Please turn it around quick cuz I want to get to using it!!!!! :)

DBRV10

OK how about HOT start...........

Around 100F I have had the roll servo not play the game.

System not detecting then it does.... but the roll servo is not active.....

I will reload 5.2 in the morning but I am 300nm from home....so may be hand flying :-/

I wonder if there is a 5.2 bug........... or maybe an SV52 problem!

Will keep you posted but any ideas over night would be good.

DBRV10

Interesting, reloaded 5.2 to the servo's and it would not work, so while they were on the network I decided they must be communicationg OK so I did another calibration.

All worked! And is still working after a 2 hours flight.

Has anyone had this bug before?

Cheers

DB

jf3sb

I've got exactly the same DSAB cold-start symptoms here too.  

I have an HS34, EFIS D100, and EMS D10 purchased new a year ago and powered up for the first time in the panel a couple weeks ago.   They all communicate perfectly on start-up for a minute or so, then the EMS gives me a "lost comm with EFIS" alarm, along with more alarms for lost OAT, HS34, EDC10, etc.   The EFIS gives no alarm at all and continues to show the EMS screen if selected, although the data no longer matches that shown on the EMS.

As Brantel reported, performing a DSAB config solves the problem, but it comes back again a minute or so later.  If you leave the units on for an hour or so, everything is fine again.  

Of the four or five times I've had the units powered up, the only time it appeared stable from the start was once when I had the shop heated to around 50 degrees F or so for a few hours beforehand.

The units originally came with 5.0.1? software on them.  I've now updated everything to 5.2.0 and the system behaves exactly the same.   Definitely sounds like a temperature sensitivity.

John

Brantel

Call em and get an RMA # and send the system back....There is nothing you can do on your end to fix it. They will fix it for you.

Mine has been fine ever since they replaced my D100 with a new one.

DBRV10

Brian

Just for educational content.....what was the problem? I am sure you would have asked the question ;)

Brantel

First they said it was the rs485 transceiver chip but the issue remained. They then decided to send me a new one so I am not sure what the tue problem was. Might have been in the board....