Next Gen is now Dynon Skyview!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We now have a name for the (formerly known as) Next Generation family of Dynon products. At Airventure 2009 we'll be unveiling the Dynon SkyView!

It only took what seemed like endless sessions of forced pair voting (around the office), customer and pilot polls, and many "spirited" discussions. An interesting statistic is that once we came together on "SkyView", 11 out of 12 pilots preferred it to other leading names in blind comparison taste tests.

So if you'll be in Wisconsin next week, come see the current status of the new SkyView products for yourself! We hope to see you at Oshkosh, in Building D, Booths 4053 & 4054.
We have actual working hardware to give you an idea of what's coming...soon!

If you can't come see it in person, read all about it on our Website, where we have updated information including mechanical specifications. You can find the new information at www.DynonSkyView.com

Pricing is still TBD - we'll probably hold that close to the vest until we're closer to release.

triple7driver

"Convenient program and data updates via USB memory stick" - Uhmmmmm.....if that USB slot is gonna be in the back of the unit that convenient part ain't too accurate for many installations.  :-?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Nope, you won't have to get to the back of the unit to do an update. We have a standard USB extension pigtail built right into the main wiring harness. Also, standard off-the-shelf USB extension cables can be used to locate the access point pretty much anywhere you want. So there will be many convenient options.

airguy

OK - so what's this about a GPS receiver? Spill it! Give us some details here - have you finally added Dynon-branded GPS reception to your toolbox, and to what degree? I'd love to scratch the 430W off my list...

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The GPS receiver will be a small antenna that outputs NMEA data at 5Hz. It's not a whole "GPS" like a 430 or even a 296, which has databases and everything inside.

The displays will have mapping inside them, and can accept any GPS device for position info. If you already have a 430, x96, or another device, you can use it's output. If you don't, you may want to buy our receiver, as it will be very reasonably priced.

We have talked about the screens doing mapping for a while now, and if you look at the screen shots you can see the preliminary stages of it. We will not have mapping in the SkyView system in the beginning, but will on the second software release.

Remember, the unique thing about GPS units is that the FAA requires a certified GPS unit if you want to file /G in ANY IFR situation. So unfortunately, no experimental GPS unit from any vendor (even if it's WAAS, RAIM, and any other mix of acronyms) will be legal for IFR. For VFR, we'll have a great solution, and we will also be able to display info from a IFR legal device like the 430.

airguy

To clarify a bit - will the Skyview have the database to generate the GPS display for VFR use? I can see the usefulness of a certified GPS for /G IFR operations - but I would really like to be able have the same data available as a navaid for VFR or non-/G IFR.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Yes, SkyView will have a database and software to create a full VFR or IFR map, just not on the initial release. Airspaces, airports, navaids, frequencies, etc. Eventually it will support traffic, weather, and whatever else we or the world dreams up.

vlittle

Saw your announcement on the web site that mentioned a video input at some point.

This is great! Taildraggers can plan for a taxi-aid camera system for ground ops. Also can be used to check six in formation (with the appropriate mirror-imaging).

Thanks,
Vern

TRCsmith

Integrate everything in one package, Nav/Comm/autopilot/alt hold/EFIS...All your eggs in one basket, not a good thing........

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Which is why we offer full redundancy in the system, with multiple screens, AHRS units, etc. It's easy to configure a SkyView so there is no single point of failure.

Having no redundancy is not good, but that doesn't mean you can't use SkyView for everything.

RudiGreyling

Yes, SkyView will have a database and software to create a full VFR or IFR map, just not on the initial release. Airspaces, airports, navaids, frequencies, etc. Eventually it will support traffic, weather, and whatever else we or the world dreams up.

Hi Support,

Thanks this got my attention,

Just to make sure I understand it.
The 'Next' Release will have Airspaces, Airports, Navaids etc on it.

1) What about non USA countries? Will their airports, airspaces be supported?
2) Will we get PC mapping software to upload our own user defined airports and routes?

Thanks in advance.
Kind Regards
Rudi

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The release AFTER the product's initial release will have the moving map w/ nav data

We plan on having worldwide nav data available, but outside the US it's likely to be a pay subscription since most governments don't distribute their data digitally as well as the US govt does.

We will not have our own software, but anticipate supporting other software that exports flight plans (we don't want to re-invent every wheel, and there are already competent PC-based flight planning tools available out there)

PhantomPholly

A competitor found a free source for terrain data.  The sources are documented (or at least once upon a time were) pretty well on their website.

Can't remember which <cough>mgl<cough> competitor it was, though - but if you could figure it out the homework has already been done.  Don't know if it has all of the malleable data for things like towers, but at least it would be a start.

;)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We already have terrain for the whole world, at higher resolution than most competitors. This is not hard to come by.

The issue is airspace, airports, and obstacles. As far as I know, nobody has a reliable source for this outside of the USA that is not commercial.

RudiGreyling

Thanks for the reply,

as long as the world terrain is avialable, I can purchase other non USA NAV DATA, and edit my Own, You got a deal!

No roll on 1 December 2009.

Regards
Rudi

landwerlen

i've been watching the progress of the sky view and love it so far. we are an new S-LSA OEM in the states that hasnt decided on a EFIS solution. is their and alpha or beta program we could get invloved with? sorry if this isnt the proper channel for this type of inquiry. you guys were way too busy to talk to me at airventure. john@flylpas.com

p92

Glide Slope in the Skyview!

Will I have a GPS GS (Glide Slope) displayed on the screen at the Skyview with your new introduced GPS antenna/reciever??, I mean with no Garmin installed.
Thank you!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
landwerlen: We'll send you an email about becoming a dealer / choosing Dynon.

p92: What you're talking about is a vertical guidance, or a V-nav profile. It's likely that it'll make it into the software at some point (but not initially), but, remember that it would behave more like the X96 series does rather than the 430. In other words, the capability would be VFR-only guidance based on parameters that you input. It would not be IFR LPV/WAAS approaches. These approaches, by the way, can only legally be done if you have an IFR certified GPS in the aircraft. Now like today, we'll be able to display the glideslope being generated by an IFR box like the 430, whether via an ILS or WAAS approach.

airguy

In other words, the capability would be VFR-only guidance based on parameters that you input. It would not be IFR LPV/WAAS approaches.

So how is that done currently - following a user-programmed descent angle and localizer over fixed waypoints on the ground, for reference only, under VFR?