No alerts on maintenance log?

airguy

I set up several items in my maintenance log (Skyview Classic, 15.1.0) and noticed that my oil change timer (referencing tach time) did not flag me with any alert when it expired. I cannot find a specific setting to turn alerts on/off, am I missing something?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Currently, there isn't alerting - either on-screen or in the logs - for maintainance items.

airguy

Currently, there isn't alerting - either on-screen or in the logs - for maintainance items.

Wow - I can't believe you guys didn't consider that when creating the maintenance log, honestly. What's the point of having a timer for the maintenance items for tracking without an alert? I would definitely like to request that feature be added in a future software update.

jnmeade

Let's suppose you decide to change the oil on your Rotax 912ULS every 35 hours but one day you decide to go over and take it to 50 hours. You crash and injure a fellow passenger and it turns out to be an engine problem. Your passenger mentions that you had an oil change alert on but blew it off. Just idle hangar lawyer talk, but wondering if these alerts could ever bite you?

sunfish

I love flying!
If you have alerts, then you have to have a way of clearing the alert.

That brings up the issue of whether you are just clearing the alert by postponing something or whether you are clearing it because you have completed a maintenance task. You are going to need to have a digital signature if it is the latter.

That then brings up legal issues if there is any discrepancy between the Dynon log alerts and your paper maintenance documentation.

The other issue is if you reset/fiddle with the logs and alerts. You can lose track of where you are real quick.

Maybe a simple settable and removable  'reminder" warning ten hours before something "might" be due is a better idea? Just a personal note to yourself?

This issue seems to me to be one where lawyers would have to vet the wording of the messages very, very, very carefully. Maybe we should stick with the KISS principle.

preid

Let's suppose you decide to change the oil on your Rotax 912ULS every 35 hours but one day you decide to go over and take it to 50 hours.  You crash and injure a fellow passenger and it turns out to be an engine problem.  Your passenger mentions that you had an oil change alert on but blew it off.  Just idle hangar lawyer talk, but wondering if these alerts could ever bite you?

If you blew off that reminder, the engine failed because you probably blew off the other reminders too ;) but for the rest of us that like a feature and think it adds value and actually do use reminders, I agree having a maintenance log without a reminder when due really doesn’t add much value. I can write on my white board the same information and at least be reminded of a due date.
My vote for a future feature added.
With that said, good thread as I actually thought I would be reminded and it’s good to know I won’t.
Thx

jnmeade

I'm sorry I raised the question. I did not intend to divert the subject. I thought it was a simple question but will not pursue it. I must not have asked it well because the responses are divergent from what I was getting at. I'll drop it. My fault. Carry on.