No Heading Info??

uiJCKftERAh

I upgraded the Firmware from V2.8.0 to V4.0.4, but now I have no heading info - Only a message "No Heading Detected" or similar. What did I do wrong. What is the fix? Thx
Rolly9

uiJCKftERAh

I have no EDC? All I know is that I had HDG info before the update, and now I don't. Thx.
Rolly9

jakej

I have no EDC?  All I know is that I had HDG info before the update, and now I don't.  Thx.
Rolly9

Rolly, Why I asked about the EDC10A (magnetometer) is you need to also update it as well when doing the EFIS ;)

Jake J

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
OK, so it's not quite clear how exactly your unit got in this state but here's how you get it back out...

First, some background. The EFIS-D10A has an internal magnetometer. You can also optionally connect the EDC-D10A remote magnetometer, which gets the magnetic sensors mounted remotely, which generally offers better performance.

IF you have the EDC-D10A connected, and it goes away, the EFIS (with 4.0 firmware) will pop the not detected message, since the calibration that you would have done for the EDC-D10A will not be valid for the internal sensors.

So, we'd only expect you to see that message if you used to have the EDC-D10A connected, and but isn't currently being seen by the EFIS. This could be caused by a loose wire, a failure of the EDC-D10A, or updating the EFIS without the EDC connected. The EDC-D10A has firmware on it that gets updated during the EFIS update - hence why we recommend that you update the unit in the aircraft, with the connection to the EDC preserved.

I can't guess how your unit could get into the state its in if there isn't an EDC-D10A in the mix, but, if you go into the SETUP>MAGCAL menu, the heading should return instantly. Once you see it pop back up, just cancel the calibration. I also couldn't say whether or not your heading will need to actually need to be recalibrated or not. I'd suggest observing the heading performance over a flight or two.

uiJCKftERAh

Dynon Employee - The last Paragraph tells me what I need to know. There never has been an EDC envolved in this installation. But I will go do the MAGCAL thing. Thanks all who replied.
Rolly