No MAP on Pilot Panel?

Ken_Kopp

With a GPS lock and a good fix along with terrain mapping on my Copilot panel (this is the pane the Dynon GPS is hooked to) I'm wondering why I am getting a MAP failed alert on the pilot panel?

What setup needs to occur to have the Pilot Display see the Copilot Display Map?

All other functions seem to be shared (PFD, EMS) between the two as expected.

Thanks!

Ken

Ken_Kopp

Ok I see in the install manual that the primary GPS xmt line must be connected to all the panels in the system.

Hmmmm...the system block diagram shows only one connection from a GPS to a Panel and the network line from Panel-to-Panel????

So will any GPS data by shared between Panels? What about a third party GPS connected to another serial port, will that data be shared via the network?

meljordan

Ken,

Serial devices are not shared between panels, so you do need to connect to each SkyView screen separately. I have a Garmin 430 as well as the Dynon GPS connected, and each device must have it's own connection to each screen.

Regards,
Mel Jordan
SkyView Beta Tester

meljordan

Ken,

One more thing, the Dynon GPS only needs the TX (Grey-Orange) line connected to the second SkyView screen. You don't need all 4 wires connected as you did with the first screen.

Mel

Ken_Kopp

Well that creates more work for me I guess :)

The question I have for dynon is if when the map database is complete if a flight plan entered in one display will show up on the other? If so, as long as I have a GPS connected to each display it shouldn't matter if I have all GPS's connected to both displays.

Or an even more specific question: With two displays are there any issues with a dedicated GPS for each display but not connected to the other?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Having the GPS connected to each display is A Good Thing in general. If only connected to one, and that system does down, the other screen would no longer be receiving the repeated GPS from the failed screen (though SkyView Network is designed to continue to pass data around, even in the event of a screen failure. GPSes are serial, not SkyView Network, though).

Flightplans and other data will be automatically shared/synced between screens, however.

sandaville

Moving on just a little with this. If in a dual screen setup, I connect two Dynon GPS or Third Party GPS units, each connected to a screen as primary and an additional data feed to the other screen as its secondary source for redundancy. Should I expect the screen(s) to auto switch to the secondary GPS input if the primary data source is off or failed? The manual seems to suggest that the screen will sit and wait for the primary source to come on unless reconfigured manually via the ground only setup menu (see manual text below). I'm sure I read a post on here that said it auto switched if no data was present.

Additionally, how will the GPS priorities work between Serial devices and an ARINC 429 connected GPS device also connected to the system via the upcoming ARINC interface. Will the ARINC interface be network connected and therefore its data be available across the network?

"Ensure that your primary GPS is connected to the highest numbered serial port in your system.
For example, if you have your primary GPS connected to and configured on serial port 2 and
serial port 5 is also configured for GPS, but no GPS exists on that port,
SkyView will not recognize the GPS on serial port 2 until you turn off GPS functionality on port 5."

"SkyView is designed to use the GPS device configured on the highest numbered serial port.
For example, if you connect GPS devices to serial ports 3 and 5, SkyView will only use the data from serial port 5."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the Dynon GPS RX line used or can this be omitted? Manual seems to suggest that nothing is coming out from Skyview on this line.

SERIAL 5 IN DEVICE: DYNON GPS
SERIAL 5 IN FUNCTION: GPS 1
SERIAL 5 IN/OUT BAUD RATE: 38400
SERIAL 5 OUT DEVICE: NONE

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
There is no fail-over to other GPS sources today. In the future the software will do this, but for now you have to switch manually.

Once we have ARINC, you will define priorities. You'll call a device GPS1, GPS2, GPS3, etc. It will use them in that order. You are correct that an ARINC module will be broadcast on the network, but that also means the ARINC converter itself is a single point of failure so you might still want a serial connection somewhere.

The Dynon RX line is not used today, but the module does accept firmware updates over serial and a few other commands, so we'd like you to hook it up if possible.

sandaville

Thanks. So If we currently want redundancy with GPS units we should plan to install a switch for selection into a single Serial Port because we cannot manually change GPS selection settings in flight. Correct?

Also will ARINC and the backup serial connection from the same GPS unit connected as you've suggested to protect against ARINC failure, use the same GPS reference. i.e. GPS1, or as I suspect will they have separate references. GPS1 and GPS2 to indicate a change in source (same unit different data source. i.e. your ARINC GPS1 data has failed and you are now using Serial GPS2 data, albeit from the same unit).

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You can manually change settings in flight. No switch needed. It just won't happen automatically.

We don't have the ARINC module running yet so I can't tell you exactly how we will support fail-over in that case.

sandaville

To change GPS source manually, I know you use (From information in the Installation Guide) :-

SETUP MENU > LOCAL SCREEN SETUP > SERIAL PORT SETUP > SERIAL PORT # SETUP

I've also worked out (please correct me if i'm wrong) that the SETUP MENU can be accessed via the INFLIGHT SETUP MENU when in flight. Assuming "Full Screen Setup Menu" means the SETUP MENU.

This statement in the Installation Guide reads (to me at least) as if you enter either menu without being able to get at the other based on airspeed. It does not explain that all this means is you gain some extra inflight setups when inflight but still retain access to the ground (or zero airspeed) setup menu and all its setups (albeit a level lower on the menu tree).

There are two setup menus: the Setup Menu and the In Flight Setup Menu. Simultaneously pressing and holding buttons 7 and 8 when on the Main Menu will open one of these menus. If airspeed is zero, the Setup Menu opens. If airspeed is greater than zero, the In Flight Setup Menu opens.

So the Installation Guide is a little vague on all this. The Pilots Guide does not explain or show how to change GPS source manually (ON GROUND OR IN FLIGHT). I think this should be included somewhere as its rather important if you lose primary GPS source. At least until the system is upgraded to auto switch.