Not displaying NAV/VLOC on Dynon HSI from IFD540

Gattsama

Sent a long email to my installer and still reading through everything. Just had the Dynon Skyview HDX system installed in my 1970 A36. Also have an IFD540. IFD GPS works 100% as expected with the Skyview (for navigation, bearing pointers, approaches). However, just tried to do the VOR A @ KPAE & ILS16R @ KPAE and had several problems:

- On the VOR A: The IFD displays 'GPS -> VLOC' but never cycled. I was outside the FAF, on the inbound course, and vectored in from less than 10 decrees (actually via a DME arc).

- When I manually switch the IFD from GPS to VLOC the CDI disappears (see picture). The Dynon HSI source displays 'IFD VLOC' as source, but no WPT ID/Name/DME and the frequency section is blank.

- The same happened with the ILS approach. CDI disappears when I manually change from GPS to VLOC on the IFD. And I confirmed on the IFD NAV I have the correct frequency, the IFD confirmed the station ID, and I can hear the correct morse code on the audio panel.

- If I choose 'IFD VLOC' as a source for the bearing pointer same, no pointer. If I choose IFD GPS or Skyview as source for the bearing pointers they work as expected.

So essentially the IFD communicates to the Skyview system as expected. But the IFD NAV/VOR/VHF/LOC/ILS appears to not be communicating with the Skyview. I assume this is an installation issue (have contacted my installer, we are going to try a few things remote next week and if no joy I'll fly back down in a couple of weeks). But incase there's a software or user issue wanted to ask the group.

My understanding is that once I switch to VLOC the Skyview source display should show: IFD VLOC / WPT name and DME (magenta / GPS based) / frequency. And of course, I should have a CDI I can use for course correction (or use the CRS bug for navigation). Random aside, I also can not get the IFD into OBS mode when I push the GPS/VLOC knob, again making me think I have some installation issue or IFD issue. Any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• VLOC VOR.jpg
    VLOC VOR.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 43

KTMridr

Sent a long email to my installer and still reading through everything. Just had the Dynon Skyview HDX system installed in my 1970 A36. Also have an IFD540. IFD GPS works 100% as expected with the Skyview (for navigation, bearing pointers, approaches). However, just tried to do the VOR A @ KPAE & ILS16R @ KPAE and had several problems:

- On the VOR A: The IFD displays 'GPS -> VLOC' but never cycled. I was outside the FAF, on the inbound course, and vectored in from less than 10 decrees (actually via a DME arc).

- When I manually switch the IFD from GPS to VLOC the CDI disappears (see picture). The Dynon HSI source displays 'IFD VLOC' as source, but no WPT ID/Name/DME and the frequency section is blank.

- The same happened with the ILS approach. CDI disappears when I manually change from GPS to VLOC on the IFD. And I confirmed on the IFD NAV I have the correct frequency, the IFD confirmed the station ID, and I can hear the correct morse code on the audio panel.

- If I choose 'IFD VLOC' as a source for the bearing pointer same, no pointer. If I choose IFD GPS or Skyview as source for the bearing pointers they work as expected.

So essentially the IFD communicates to the Skyview system as expected. But the IFD NAV/VOR/VHF/LOC/ILS appears to not be communicating with the Skyview. I assume this is an installation issue (have contacted my installer, we are going to try a few things remote next week and if no joy I'll fly back down in a couple of weeks). But incase there's a software or user issue wanted to ask the group.

My understanding is that once I switch to VLOC the Skyview source display should show: IFD VLOC / WPT name and DME (magenta / GPS based) / frequency. And of course, I should have a CDI I can use for course correction (or use the CRS bug for navigation). Random aside, I also can not get the IFD into OBS mode when I push the GPS/VLOC knob, again making me think I have some installation issue or IFD issue. Any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks in advance
I have the same setup and experienced similar issues. The installer had me verify the Arinc 429 settings document from Dynon and the setting to allow auto switch for the HSI was turned off. Once I turned that on, then it worked as expected.

The only thing I still haven't figured out is displaying the DME to a waypoint, airport etc in the HSI window when I either have the IFD GPS running the flight plan or the IFD nav radio running the flight plan. If you get that figured out, please share.

Gattsama

I have the same setup and experienced similar issues. The installer had me verify the Arinc 429 settings document from Dynon and the setting to allow auto switch for the HSI was turned off. Once I turned that on, then it worked as expected.

The only thing I still haven't figured out is displaying the DME to a waypoint, airport etc in the HSI window when I either have the IFD GPS running the flight plan or the IFD nav radio running the flight plan. If you get that figured out, please share.

Thank you. I'll go to the plane and try to check. Is this the ARINC429 setting on the IFD _OR_ the ARINC429 setting on the Dynon? Or both?

I get GPS DME distances when the IFD is source to the Dynon HSI. I'm not sure what setting enables that. I'll ask my installer and see if I can figure it out for you.

KTMridr

The auto switch was turned off on the HDX side and once I turned that on, it worked great. The pictures I posted below are what helped me make sure mine was setup correctly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240229_074501_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240229_074501_Gallery.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20240229_074512_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240229_074512_Gallery.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 55