Nov. AV/OBST Data

thibault

When will the data be available, and why does the map screen say expired on the 12th, when the FAA says it expires on the 13th?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Tom,
The data is on our database download page and has been for a while:

http://dynonavionics.com/docs/support_software_SkyView_Databases.html

Make sure you are looking at the second table for "upcoming data" not "current".

I'm not sure where you see the FAA says the cycle starts on Friday. All data always expires on Wed night/Thursday morning, which means the old set is good through the 12th and the new set starts on the 13th. The cycle is 28 days so it's always exactly 4 weeks and the days crawl around year to year.

You sure you aren't looking at 2013's dates? They were the 13th/14th last year.

thibault

This is really two issues.

First of all, guess I'm an idiot about the current versus future data.  Three + years is not enough for this old dog to remember the web page layout.

The second issue is maybe just semantics.  The current data is Oct XX to Nov 12.  Skyview reports the current data is expired on Nov 12, my Garmin 430W reports expired on Nov 13.  No big deal, just wondering what is the "official" first day for the data.  I think it really matters which is correct for IFR in the 430W.  I had always thought before that the current data was good until 2359 on Nov 12 for this cycle.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Again, ALL data becomes active on Thursday mornings. There's an international standard here, called ARIAC:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeronautical_Information_Publication

Every chart and publication I have ever seen calls out the 1412 cycle as having effective dates of 13 Oct to 12 Nov, and the next cycle as 13 Nov to 11 Dec. I really have no idea why a Garmin with 1412 loaded would have 13 Nov listed anywhere. Maybe it was already 13 Nov Zulu and it was saying "Expired On 13 Nov" which is technically true?

SkyView should not be listing the data as "expired on nov 12" it should be listing active dates of Oct 13 to Nov 12.

Also, one weirdness here- charts expire at 0900Z time in the USA, no matter where you are (Thursday middle of night). Maybe that's why the Garmin says "Nov 13th" since technically it occurs on the 13th in the USA, just very early in the morning.

preid

SkyView should not be listing the data as "expired on nov 12"

I think that was Tom's point, because Skyview DID say on the screen that it expired on Nov 12. it was 1000 PST on Wednesday when I received the same message.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Ok, we see now how the way Dynon presents the expiration date could be clearer. We'll look at improving that in a future release. Thanks for the input!