OAT acting wacky

13brv3

Greetings,

I installed the EDC, and OAT yesterday. After final installation of the wiring, all tie wrapped, etc, I turned the unit on, and the OAT read 82F. It was actually 89F according to a thermocouple, so I bumped up the OAT by 7F, so it read 89F.

After putting the plane back together (not touching the wiring), I turned the unit on again, and noticed that it was reading 59F. I also noticed that it flashed 84F for about a half second when it first came online, then went to 59F. If I put my hand on the OAT probe to try to warm it up, after about 10 seconds, the reading jumps straight to 84F, and will stay there for a minute or two when I let go of the probe. After a couple minutes, the reading once again goes back to 59F. It really was 84F in the hanger, but I don't know what's up with this wacky reading.

Do I need a new OAT probe, or a new EDC? This is with a new unit, and the latest software.

Thanks,
Rusty

13brv3

For the sake of the archive, this turned out to be a software issue of sorts. It seems the EDC also has software, and it only gets updated if the EDC is connected when the software update is loaded to the EFIS. In my case, the EFIS, and EDC came with the previous version of software, and when I did the update, I didn't have the EDC connected. One of the things they updated in the software was the ability to use the new type 2 OAT sensors. Since the EDC is the interface for the OAT probe, it needs to know how to read the new sensor, and must be connected when the software is updated in order to get the new software.

Bottom line, I re-installed the same new version of software with the EDC connected, then the type 2 probe worked like a charm. Thank to Mike at Dynon for the assistance.

Cheers,
Rusty