OAT and precessing compass ribon

paulgy80

Hi, upgraded my D100 to V5 and just turned it on. Two immediate problems I seem to have lost the ability to show the outside air temp on the screen and the cmpas ribom on the top precessses forward and reverse by up to 10 degrees each way while stationary. Any ideas

Paul

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Sounds like you lost your connection to your EDC. Did you upgrade the EFIS with the EDC connected? What version of software did you come from?

paulgy80

Just upgraded to V5 but with the update cable I cannot have anything else connected??

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The EDC and PC connections are totally different from one another, so it is possible (and required) to have the EDC connected at the same time as the PC.

I know you upgraded TO V5, but what version did you COME from? As in what version was on the EFIS before the update?

paulgy80

Right you are using terminology that I do not understand, EDC and PC ??? I have an update cable provided to me by my installer, to update the D100 I have to remove it from the airframe and hook it up to a computer and update, there is only 1 connector on the back of the D100 and the update lead has only 1 D connector and that is both for data and power???.

I did a back up of the old system prior to updating but I am clueless as to the operating system prior to the update, the unit was supplied approx 2 1/2 years ago.

So where do we go from here, I updated as I wanted the HSI and AOT facility, both of which I was advised were available on firmware update.

Regards

Paul

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Unfortunately, your installer should have put an update cable in the aircraft, which uses all of the wiring that is already in the plane. If you take it out to update it, it will no longer have a connection to the Remote Compass (the EDC I have mentioned), and so it cannot update the remote compass when you update the unit. The remote compass is a module that is located somewhere in the plane that gives the EFIS heading and OAT data.

We expect the unit to be updated as it's installed in the plane. You need to speak with your installer and see what they can do to help you achieve this. The harness Dynon sells has all of these wires already attached, but the installer may have made their own harness.

The PC is the "Personal Computer"

paulgy80

Have spoken to the installer, they supplies their own patch lead to update, I have esnt it back and they will supply a revised lead. Strangely enough the update lead for the D10 EMS is already wired in so he got smething right???

Cheers

Paul

speeddog7

I have a D-180 with HS34 and the latest software version on both. I'm still in the flight test stage (Glasair), so I'm going round and round the airport burning time. The only problems I'm having is that the Compass on the D-180 acts more like a whisky compass with lead and lag errors, than the way its supposed to work. I can turn left and the dynon heading will initially turn right,,, then back to the left. After I roll out, it may take a while for it to catch up and show the correct heading. I've done a compass cal on it, but didn't seem to help the problem. I have a D10A in the plane as well (with remote compass) and it works fine. Both remote compasses are sitting beside one another in the baggage compartment area. I tried switching the wires on the remote compass to see if I possibly had a faulty remote compass feeding info to the D180, but the problem basically stayed the same. The D10A heading changed slightly, but was, for the most part, correct. Any ideas?

The other problem is that my OAT isn't indicating correctly. I've posted elsewhere inquiring about that particular problem.

DBRV10

Make sure you have done the setup of the compass correctly, entered the right declination etc, and done a compass swing calibration.

When we isntalled an EDC on our old D10 it did strange things like that too until it was calibrated correctly.

DB

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Two leading causes of this:
-Not having the EDC-D10A mounted tabs down, connector forward
or
-Using the wrong inclination and total intensity values. The former should be a number roughly 50-70 in N America. The intensity should be a number in the 10s of thousands. If you post where you are in the world and the numbers you're using we can sanity check them too.