OAT probe installation

Mel

I seem to remember something saying that all power must be removed from the EFIS before connecting the OAT probe to prevent damage but there is nothing in the installation instructions about this. I have my probe mounted but have not connected it to the compass module. Do I need to remove all power (including keep alive power)?
Thanks,
Mel

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Mel,
Yes, please disconnect all power from the EFIS, including keep-alive power, before connecting the OAT to the EDC. The easiest way to do this is to just unplug the connector from the back of the EFIS.

M

Mel(Guest)

I just completed the OAT installation per the instructions. Including disconnecting all power before I started. I have no OAT indication on the screen. I have made my living for the last 44 years in electronics including building cables. It is wired correctly. What next?
Mel

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Did you tell the EFIS to use the OAT?

More->Setup->More->OAT->Toggle to "Y"

Did you turn on the OAT indicator?

More->Info->Left->TAS

Hope that helps!

M

Mel(Guest)

OAT does not come up in the "setup" mode to allow me to toggle to "Y"
When I try to call up info to OAT it is blank. TAS does not come up.
Mel 972-784-7544

C

canardflyer(Guest)

I am having the exact problem.

I also have an external mag compass. I have connected the wiring as specified to the EDC DB-9 connector - actuall redid the connector just to make sure I did not mix up some wire.

The mag compass reads just fine, but no OAT.

:(

Mel

I also installed a new connector and all connections check good. However my remote compass is no longer working.
Mel

R

Ray Doerr(Guest)

Is there no way to connect the OAT probe directly to the D10A if you do not have the optional remote compass?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Ray,
The OAT requires the remote compass. We ran out of inputs on the microprocessor in the EFIS, so when we added OAT, the only place we could add it on was at the EDC.

R

Ray Doerr(Guest)

I've asked this question before in the EMS section, but if the OAT probe is installed with the EMS which includes the OAT probe for the Fuel Injected version which I will purchase, I would like to have the EMS send the outside air temp via RS-232 to the EFIS so it can use this data to calculate True Airspeed. I want this capability but don't want to add the remote compass just so I can connect a OAT probe to the EFIS. It would make more sense to only have one OAT probe in the plane and since it will come with the EMS, I would prefer to use it than having to buy a remote compass module and another OAT probe.

Ray Doerr

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Ray,
We agree with you- it makes sense to have only one OAT in an aircraft and have the EMS and EIFS share this data. This is something we have been considering, and we hope to add it to a future software release.

F

frank(Guest)

So I have a D100 sportpack and I did not order the optional OAT sender for the D100.

Is the D100 OAT sensor the same as EMS OAT sensor?

Seems just as well to wire it to the EFIS rather than the EMS if it will work.

Thanks

Frank

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Unfortunately they are electrically different components. Though the newer style EFIS OAT can be used on the EMS, the EMS OAT will not work with the EFIS.