OAT

Hornet_Bob

I have a D-180 which was wired by an avionics shop in California. I am now if Phoenix with two problems. I do  not have much electrical experience, but I can program.
1. OAT shows 166F. If appears to have two wires coming from the probe. It is set on type 1. Can I program to show the correct temperature?
2. I have a Rotax 912s with two cht probes. When hot, one probe reads app. 166 and the other does not move Thanks,
Bob

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The probe temperatures are not adjustable. They're calibrated here at the factory so if they are wired right and working they will be accurate.

It really sounds like you'll need to look at the wiring for your system. Everything you describe being wrong there is hooked to a general purpose analog input on the EMS, so at least you have a narrow range to look at.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The 180 can use a probe hooked to the EDC which is three wires, or a probe hooked to the D180 directly which is two wires. We include the two wire in the probe kit with the 180 because it's cheaper and easier to install.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Additionally, Bob - if you have the OAT with two black/white wires, then the OAT setup under the EFIS menu system should be set to "Installed: N", where as the GP (general purpose) input that the OAT is connected to under the EMS setup should be set to "Funct: OAT". Essentially, the EFIS side needs to be set so that there isn't an OAT installed (this is the other OAT that connects to the EDC-D10A), and the GP input the OAT is actually connected to needs to be set to treat that GP input as an OAT.

Hornet_Bob

That worked just fine.
Thanks for the help! Really please with all the features and performance of the D180
Bob

Simn_Smith

Today I finished wiring up my D180 and guess what!...........Only one cht worked but I found the problem.

There appears to be an error in the manual. On page 3-14 it says to use GP1 and GP2 for the CHT inputs.  There is no option on the EMS sensor setup page to assign GP1 to a rotax cht.  They can only be assigned to GP2 & 3.  When I set GP1 to show coolant temp I got a reading within a degree or two of the left cht.

Do I win?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The EMS we have with the latest software lets you choose Rotax CHT on all three GP inputs. What version of the SW are you running on your EMS?

Simn_Smith

I'll have to check the number when I go up next Monday but it has the new HSI on it. Is there more than one version whith that?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
No, there isn't a newer version than that, and that's what we tested on.

You can only have one GP input set as a "CHT L" or "CHT R" at a time. Are you sure you didn't have 2 & 3 set as CHT's when you checked if 1 could be a CHT?

Hornet_Bob

That was my situation also.It has wired correctly, just programmed incorrectly. I programmed #1 for cht L , #2 for cht R, then OAT worked just fine for #3. I've got to say that the D180 is one jam packed piece of informational (sp) instrument. Congrats to Dynon for combining two into one!
Bob