Oil pressure never falls to zero

Szcz202

I love flying!
I have a Rotax 912 in a Remos, my oil pressure sender is the newer wires-attached type. My D180 shows 12-17 psi of oil pressure when the engine is shut down. At 12 it wasn't an issue, at 17 it runs the Hobbs when we're not running the engine. It seems like recently it went from being more in the 12 range to 17. Any ideas how to fix it? Where to look for the fault? It has been consistently like this for 18+ months.
Thanks

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
First, make sure that you've set the sensor type correctly (Type 4 under EMS>SETUP>SENSORS>OIL PRESSURE.)

If that's set correctly, it sounds like it might be a defective sensor.

Roger_Lee

The VDO pressure senders are famous for going bad and that's usually what it is 98% of the time when it was working okay previously. Just change the sender. You can get them for around $30 on egauges.com
Just look to see if you have a single or double pole sender.

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_send.asp?Sender=150PSI_10Bar

Szcz202

I love flying!
I don't have the VDO sender, I think it is a Honeywell part and costs a couple hundred dollars. I don't think I have 5 sensor choices- there are types 1-4. It is set as 4, anything else gives clearly incorrect readings.
I attached a pic of the sending unit.

Attachments

• image_004.jpg
    image_004.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 238

Roger_Lee

Hi Michael,

That is a Honeywell, but testing is a little harder with it over a VDO.
Here is a link to make a test oil gauge. It is very easy. You can set it up with the Honeywell just like the pictures and video. It's a cheap and easy way to test and diagnose a problem.

http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/918-oil-pressure-test-gauge-setup/

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So that is sensor type 5. Rotax has actually recently replaced that Honeywell sensor with an electrically identical replacement that's from a different vendor. It appears they had reliability issues with the Honeywell.

Sensor type 4 is correct for that sensor, by the way.

Szcz202

I love flying!
Ok, so I finally got my replacement from California Power Systems, apparently they're now using a Kodiak oil pressure sender.
But, of course, while the Honeywell has two wires, the Kodiak has three pins. So, now I need to know where to find the connector that plugs into this thing and also to know what wire to hook up to what.
Help!

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The Rotax part number for the wiring/connector for that sensor is 864250 per the attached doc. I think Lockwood had some on order, but I'm not positive.

The connector side of the Kavlico sensors we sell looks to be the same connector, but that's not for sure. That will put you back $85. Sorry, but we don't have only the connector side of those available separately.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Sorry, doc attached to THIS post

Attachments

• running_mods_9_series_R6_d05265.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 224

Szcz202

I love flying!
So, just hook it up per the Rotax instructions and keep it as a sensor type 4 and I'm good to go?
Thanks!

Szcz202

I love flying!
Well, now it is a year and a half later and I've replaced the sensor with the new style unit. No change. The oil pressure sits at 20ish when the engine is off and indicates too high (80-90) when running.
Help?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
If you've got two sensors of different types that are showing the same thing, that's really odd. When at rest, can you measure the voltage on the signal wire when SkyView's powered up? Also, is the red wire going to your EMS pin 15? Can you measure the voltage on that wire? Finally, where is the ground wire going to?