oil pressure sender replacement

henriquerv7

Hi Dynon,

Today i had prolems with my oil pressure sensor and need to replace them. I found locally a VDO pressure sender that is the same especification as the one came with my dynon kit. Can i use it instead of the kavlico?

The one that i have locally is the same as this : https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/sender360-025.php?clickkey=13212

Regards

Henrique Castro

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
That looks like it's probably the same one we sell, so it would likely work. But as Jake said, we moved away from the VDOs because they didn't hold up over time - many people found that them needing periodic replacement.

henriquerv7

Dear Dynon,

Today i received the kavilco oil pressure sensor bought throught aicraft spruce. Removed the old one, and placed the new one, but no reading at all. Got the +5v from pin 18, the green wire to sensor input and grounded the sensor to the battery ground. changed the settings to sensor type 5 as installation request. Even with the engine off, i keep reading "---" blinking red on number and ems alarm "high oil pressure. What could be happening?

Regards

Henrique Castro

henriquerv7

upgraded to latest version today.

set up to type 5, as istallation instruction request, but also tried all other types from 1 to 4. All of them doesnt work. "---" blinking red and high oil pressure alarm  all time, including when engine is off :(

The only thing that i made is putting the ground wire directly into the negative of the battery (it was the near ground point of the sensor. should i put the ground in the ground pin of ems or this should not make diference?

Regards

Henrique

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
That shouldn't make a difference if your grounds are all well-grounded together. But having that wire coming back to an EMS ground is ideal in this case. From your latest description, that's also what you'd see if the system simply wasn't seeing the sensor (ie, it's not really connected). If the sensor isn't actually getting the 5V from pin 18, you'd see this. Actually if ANY of the 3 wires weren't getting to the pin they should be getting to, you'd see this. So I'd double-check the wiring here.