Oil Temp Lower yellow range won't go below 80F

alpinelakespilot20

On my D180 I'm trying to set the lower yellow range for my oil temperature to to go up to about 80F. However, it will not let me input anything below 80.  Why not?  (I know that pre-takeoff oil temperatures are debateable, but I'm still surprised it won't allow me to input a number lower than 80.) A pic is attached showing the ranges my D180 will allow me to use.

35chs9i.jpg

DBRV10

Why would you want to do that ?

I would be more worried about where you are setting your CHT limits.

I should post this as a seperate post now that I think of it but CHT should be set green up to 380F, yellow from 380 to 400, and 400 and above in RED with alarm set for 400 or more.

And if anyone wants to debate this WITHOUT thinking with their brain first, they will get a fair dose of "keyboard lashing" from me.

Just think about for a while ;) ....I know someone is going to be tempted to say 450 or 500F :eek:

alpinelakespilot20

Does the oil temperature range not go below 80, or am I just missing something? Most of the other temperatures will allow for settings all the way down to zero.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It doesn't go below 80F. Note that the numerical value will keep reading below that, though. I'm not sure of the original design intent there. It may have been to have reasonable constraints that are universal for all engines (ie, if your oil temp is below 80F, that's essentially the bottom of the peg for "all" engines, and below 80F you're undoubtly not up to temp yet, so having that be a "yellow" range is probably conservative too). These days we try to be a bit less prescriptive, but I don't see this changing in the D10/D120/D180