Oil Temperature Line Very Erratic

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
The oil temperature line is very erratic. All of the other indications are steady.

See attached.

The oil temp probe is screwed into the oil filter adapter and the engine is properly grounded to the EMS (all of the other sensors are fine so I presume that this is the case.

I cannot imagine that this could be a mechanical issue so I suppose it is an electric issue?

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you solve it?

Attachments

• OIL TEMP.pdf
    70.8 KB · Views: 165

pittsdriver

I just started a thread yesterday on this very subject. My gauge would bounce around from 225-255 and was very erratic. When I would turn the field switch off it would show a fairly steady 228-235. I checked all the connections and even bought another sensor. I replaced the Kavlico sensor with a two wire GRT sensor and now everything is perfect. Rock solid and now steady as a rock. The Kavlico sensor was reading 25 degrees higher than actual temp. We have had trouble with the Kavlico sensors both oil temp and oil pressure and won't use them anymore. We have but in several Dynon 100 series and Skyview systems over the last 15 years and these problems have just cropped up since they started using the Kavlico sensors.

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
>Replaced it with a GRT sensor and it is now rock solid and reads right on the money. Never had any problems with the older VDO type senders just these Kavlicos.

Nice write up THANKS!!! It was on the Dynon D10/D100 forum that I have not visited.

So you use a GRT and a VDO. The Installation Manual 7-53 is not very helpful and does not mention the GRT nor the VDO.

The engine is a Lycoming IO-540.

Can you please recommend a good replacement manufacturer and part number for the Kavlico...I have replaced it twice.

If the VDO has the same single threaded rod with nut and grounds to the engine that would make for a more simple retrofit...however if the GRT is better running a ground to the ground bus is not a big deal.

I am just really tired of watching my oil temp jump around in a crazy manner jumping into the over temp scale...

THANKS for your advice!!!

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
Can someone please confirm that the oil temp sensor for a Lycoming would be the "5/8-18 UNF (Dynon Avionics P/N 100409-001)" unit?

I believe that is the unit that came with my kit however I would have to remove some baffling to verify the part number.

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
Another question...the sensor has two wires, I presume they are different colors is one wire black and that would be the ground?

Rhino

Might want to ask the guy in this thread. I asked if he could post something here, but didn't get a response. Maybe you could message him.

MaydayMayday

>Replaced it with a GRT sensor and it is now rock solid and reads right on the money. Never had any problems with the older VDO type senders just these Kavlicos.

PittsDriver,

I replaced the Kavlico oil temp sensor with the GRT unit and the oil temperature indication is now rock solid and the temperature "magically" decreased from 265F erratic to a steady 190 to 210F solid line that is as smooth as...well oil!!!

THANKS for the suggestion!!!

campipilot

PittsDriver,

I replaced the Kavlico oil temp sensor with the GRT unit and the oil temperature indication is now rock solid and the temperature "magically" decreased from 265F erratic to a steady 190 to 210F solid line that is as smooth as...well oil!!!

THANKS for the suggestion!!!
Where did you ground to? And did you splice into the single wire going to the EMS?