Oil Temperature sensor installation

P_Reid

I have a DEK180 and superior (Lycoming type) engine.
The oil temperature sensor came without any washer to install it. I have used a standard crush washer however I have had an oil leak and I'm concerned that there is no way to safety wire the sender to stop it being able to come loose.
The sensor doesn't seem to make enough contact with the crush washer for a good seal and when using crush washers the component's are normal safety wired.
How do you recommend it is installed and ensured that it can't vibrate loose?

thanks

Peter Reid

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We haven't heard of people having issues once they're using a crush washer. What size are you using? We've heard from customers that an AN900-10 should do the trick. If you want to safety wire, we'd recommend putting a band clamp around the nut-shaped top portion of the sensor, then wiring that.

P_Reid

Thanks for the reply.

My concern is that if it isn't safety wired and it came loose, you would loose all the oil very quickly.

If the base of the nut was bigger which is the case in other makes of oil temperature sensors, then this would allow a better seal. The other makes also allow for safety wiring!

Peter

Actually after having looked at a few engines in the hanger today it seems some are wired some aren't

oldcdrspud

Seven hours on my RV-7A with an O-360, D120 and D100. Everything is working well except I have the same, significant, oil leak from the engine oil temp sensor (Dynon #100409-001 I believe). I used a crush washer, per the install instructions but on close inspection, the way the sensor is machined, there is no way for a crush washer to center on the sensor barrel. It isn't even close. The crush washer must be large enough to pass over the threads but the portion past/above the threads is much smaller diameter and allows the washer to "float" around on the barrel. It almost looks as though the sensor was designed for an O-ring. I guess if you get real lucky the crush washer may align perfectly when the sensor is tightened but there must be a better answer. Any ideas?

oldcdrspud

Still no reply concerning this oil temp sensor. 21 hrs on the airplane now. I installed a Stat-O-Seal washer to stop the leak. I used a 9/16" part and pressed/screwed (forced with lube) it over the 5/8' dia threads. No visible damage to the Stat-O-Seal. It fits tight around the smaller diameter upper portion and has sealed the leak. I'm still not really satisified with this fix, since this is ENGINE OIL UNDER PRESSURE and believe the part should be replaced--Over

PieChaser

I encountered the same problem and decided to fit an O-ring as the port has a taper machined in the top.
The engine has been run on the dyno at Jadeair and so far no leaks.
Now the engine is back in the Rv I am going to safety wire it before she flies.

Blue skies

PieChaser