Own Ship Being Called Out As Traffic

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
I have a Dynon supplied transponder (Trig) and a ADS-B-472. The antennae are about 2.5 feet apart pointed straight down from the belly of the airplane.

I have very often received a 'TRAFFIC TRAFFIC" and all that shows up on the screen is a yellow circle directly on top of my airplane and at the exact same altitude. It is to the point where anytime I hear the TRAFFIC it can only be my airplane.

The display is showing nearby airport weather so I am receiving ADS data however I have not ever seen any other airplanes on the screen.

Is there a setting I should change?

If I download the dynon data and upload it to the Dynon website would they be able to see the problem?

brianreid

I love flying!
This is a known problem with ADS-B. It sometimes will interpret your own ship as traffic. It is not a Dynon problem.

RVDan

I love flying!
I have a Dynon supplied transponder (Trig) and a ADS-B-472. The antennae are about 2.5 feet apart pointed straight down from the belly of the airplane.

I have very often received a 'TRAFFIC TRAFFIC" and all that shows up on the screen is a yellow circle directly on top of my airplane and at the exact same altitude. It is to the point where anytime I hear the TRAFFIC it can only be my airplane.

The display is showing nearby airport weather so I am receiving ADS data however I have not ever seen any other airplanes on the screen.

Is there a setting I should change?

If I download the dynon data and upload it to the Dynon website would they be able to see the problem?
In some ATC sectors, I have experienced some pretty odd behaviors around own ship showing up as traffic. In one case, traffic popped up 3 miles climbing and closing at my six and in class B airspace. When the traffic closed to 1 mile, I called ATC to report my evasive climb maneuver and they confirmed there was no other aircraft, and that this happened routinely in the area I was in. I have confirmed these events as ADS-B ground system driven. They are getting less and less, but some areas it can be worse, and ATC acknowledges the problem.

RV9APlane

This has happened to me when flying in a valley with mountains on both sides. I fly up and down the Owens Valley in California sometimes and i can almost count on it happening there. It’s always a little disconcerting but now I know what causes it.

MaydayMayday

> It’s always a little disconcerting but now I know what causes it.

It happens to me so often (four to five time each flight) that I now pretty much disregard the traffic alerts...and that is REALLY BAD.

I REALLY wish Dynon would look faster for that "resilient"

skysailor

My plane has a GRT Mini I use as a backup EFIS to the Skyview. The Mini also displays traffic. It gets this information from my Echo UAT while the Skyview gets it from the ADSB 472 module. Interestingly, the GRT Mini does not have this issue so they are able to filter effectively. The Mini shows all other traffic shown on the Dynon even if very close to my plane but I have never been shown as traffic to myself on the GRT.

sstearns2

Yeah, I've done a few crazy ivan's thinking someone was trailing me, but it was just me. It does seem to be getting less and less common.

RV9APlane

Well, in my last post I said it usually happened to me in valleys between mountains. However, I just finished a long cross country trip from Bakersfield to Minneapolis and back and I got the own ship report while at 15,500 feet between KSTK(Sterling, CO) and KSNY(Sidney, CO) heading east from the Denver area. Scared the bejeezus out me...

NASA515

I love flying!
This problem has been discussed repeatedly on this Forum, but without resolution. The airport I fly from, K0S9 (Pt. Townsend, WA), has this problem in spades - and this was replicated by Dynon. It seems likely to be terrain related, with mountainous areas to the south, but is so frequent, and so involves local traffic in the traffic area or pattern, as to make disregarding the norm. A bad situation.

Bob Bogash
RV-12 N737G

jerrynich@gmail.co

I love flying!
Had a similar problem with my Garmin setup. Turned out to be a bad connection between the GPS and the ADS-B transponder.

BWW312

This is definitely a Dynon problem. I helped prove the concept ofADS-B while at Honeywell. The ADSB messages contain the emmiter ID (ICAO format, same as the Hex number on your registration papers ) all Dynon needs to do is compare ID with the information you entered into Dynon aircraft system and suppress the display of own ship. Interesting, if you turn on N number display, all the other traffic shows the N number EXCEPT for own ship. So Dynon has already identified the intruder as self. I tried turning on the tail numbers display so I could at least I could see I was about to crash into myself but they suppress that too.
The above is not ALWAYS true, there are some occasions when the ID isn't provided, due to the intruder being an unidentified radar return, converted to ADSB by the ground system. But if your ADSB is broadcasting your data including ID everything should work.
At the very least, Dynon could render the traffic to the display before your aircraft icon so the traffic wouldn't hide the display of your aircraft.

This is very dangerous and Dynon could fix it!

Rhino

It was addressed in January, 2021, and it was never limited to Dynon.

GalinHdz

"there are some occasions when the ID isn't provided, due to the intruder being an unidentified radar return, converted to ADSB by the ground system."
You actually proved the OP's post that it is a system issue not an equipment issue. Not all ground stations receive and process a perfect signal every time and when that happens then "garbage in, garbage out" applies.

FWIW I have had the same issue with STRATUX, STRATUS and other ADS-B receivers so not limited to DYNON. ;)