Pitot Controller Wire Connections

baldcaldwell

I love flying!
I am having trouble understanding the connection between the pitot probe and the controller. The attached picture demonstrates the issue. The instructions state to "mate like colored wires" between the controller and the probe.

The three 18AWG wires coming from the pitot probe are:
  • White, White and Double Black.

The three 18AWG wires coming from the controller are:
  • Orange, Blue & Black

Anyone know the proper connections between these two components?

Thanks!

8583096C-D76E-4C5F-AED7-8BE6717BF971_1_105_c.jpeg

Raymo

I love aviation!
I'll double-check the manual but I believe it is Orange = 12v (hot), Blue = Sense (wired to EMS) and Black = Ground

The white wires will need to be traced (ring out with meter) to their destinations. Also confirm the black wire from airframe goes to ground. Also, depending on distance, Positive and Negative wires should probably be 14g to the controller to handle 10 amps and 15 feet distance.

jnmeade

I agree with Raymo that it might be worth while to check the wire size not so much for current load as for voltage drop over the distance. I have a slightly different application where I have a 16 awg wire going to a 22 awg on a non-Dynon heated pitot and asked how that worked out - the engineers said it was for voltage drop. This may not be your case and if not I apologize for butting in; just thought it was worthy of some thought.

baldcaldwell

I love flying!
Maybe I wasn't very clear.... The picture I attached previously shows the connections, but the colors do not match. See this diagram from the manual. Shows same colors to connect. Not so in real time. Just trying to understand which ones are connected.

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 1.50.45 PM.png

G-RVMS

I am having trouble understanding the connection between the pitot probe and the controller. The attached picture demonstrates the issue. The instructions state to "mate like colored wires" between the controller and the probe.

The three 18AWG wires coming from the pitot probe are:
  • White, White and Double Black.

The three 18AWG wires coming from the controller are:
  • Orange, Blue & Black

Anyone know the proper connections between these two components?

Thanks!

View attachment 4125
Check the white wires coming in through your snap bush, as mine are also white but they have coloured heat-shrink collars.
EC4A46A6-321B-47FF-8166-E9501CD95506.jpeg
EC4A46A6-321B-47FF-8166-E9501CD95506.jpeg

Last edited:

baldcaldwell

I love flying!
Check the white wires coming in through your snap bush, as mine are also white but they have coloured heat-shrink collars.
I thought about that, but I did not see any colored heat shrink wraps on them. I can no longer remove the pitot probe as I have secured the wings skins down.

G-RVMS

I think the coloured sleeves have slid back along the white wires and not knowing your installation, you might need to remove the pitot head assembly from its mast to see the wires.

airguy

I thought about that, but I did not see any colored heat shrink wraps on them. I can no longer remove the pitot probe as I have secured the wings skins down.
You might want to rethink that installation - you don't want to have to undrill the wing skin to remove/replace a failed or plugged pitot tube.