Pitot plumbing lines and the Safeair1 mount

Captain_John

I see that your documentation has contradictory information regarding plumbing lines for the AOA Pitot.

On your AOA Installation Guide pdf it states that two 1/4" soft aluminum or plastic tubing is required.

The Data Sheet shows 3/16" soft aluminum tubing.

Which is correct? Does it really make a difference?

I see that Spruce sells "Tygon" plastic tubing. Is this or another alternative any better than old fashioned aluminum?

ALSO... Will the AOA Pitot function properly with the Safeair1 mount? I only see references made to the Gretz mount and I prefer the simplicity of the Safeair1.

Thank you!

:D CJ

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
CJ,
The pitot probe has 3/16" OD aluminum tubing "sticking" out of it. In other words, the tubing that is part of the pitot is 3/16" OD soft Al tubing. We reccomend using 1/4" Al or plastic tubing for the run from the pitot to your instruments, but whatever you feel comfortable with will work fine as long as you get a good, leak free connection to our tubing. Pitot lines are low pressue and non-corrosive, so many types of tubing work fine.

I can't comment on the SafeAir One mount since I have never seen one, but I assume that it will not work. The Gretz mount is a airfoil shaped tube that our pitot fits into. Unless the SafeAir mount looks basically exactly the same, it will not work.

You can see here what the AOA probe looks like and what kind of mount it needs: http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/aoa_dimensions.html

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Well, just to follow up, the SafeAir1 pitot mount will work. It is specifically designed for the Dynon pitot probe and works just as well as the Gretz Aero Mount.

Captain_John

Ummmm, WICKED GOOD!

;D

I was wondering why it wouldn't...

Did you also see their plumbing kits on their website?

I am REALLY, really... considering getting that with the AOA stuff.

Is it any good? Would you say it passes muster?

Also, along with using the standard Van's center hole in the rib for the plumbing, should I use the upper or lower one for the AOA? Will it make a difference at any time down the road?

I am thinking the upper one will make for a more gentle bend in the line, but the lower one seems less "interfering" with the bellcrank stuff.

Am I dwelling in minutia? Does this stuff even matter?

:eek: CJ

Captain_John

pitot%20tube%20and%20aoa%20line.JPG

Looks like Bill Repucci went with the lower hole.

Bill, would you change anything? Are you happy?

8) CJ

N941WR

Capt. John,

No, I'm happy with the way it came out. Of course I haven't hung my wing yet so I could be in for a load of hurt when that happens. As far as I know so far, the location should work out fine.

The trick was drilling the 2nd hole after the top skin was riveted on. I bought an extension, ground it down so it would fit through the holes, drilled one hole w/ the uni-bit, took it off the extension, moved it up one bay, put it back on the extension, drilled the next hole, etc.

All-in-all it wasn't that big of a deal to drill the 2nd set of holes after the wing was together.

Bill

Hombre

Speaking of the plumbing. I'm a bit confused by the installation directions. Is it correct that the airspeed line can tee into the airspeed line supplying airspeed pressure from another pitot or should this line go directly to the EFIS like the AOA line?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Yes, you simply "T" into an existing pitot line for all your airspeed indicators. This is also useful for ensuring that all your airspeed indicators are consistent and accurate.