Position indication on startup with ver 14

mr.sun

I have dual Skyviews in my RV7 without the Dynon transponder or GPS 2020 antenna. I have flown a couple times since upgrading the ver 14 software. On startup, at the bottom of my screen, I see a message warning me about position not available. A question mark is placed on the little airplane icon also. Never noticed this before and it goes away after a number of minutes. Anything to worry about?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
That just means your GPS does not yet have a lock. Are you in your hangar when you boot up or does the GPS have a clear view of the sky?

mr.sun

I start the Skyview after engine start outside and 20' East of the hangar and get the notice. I didn't see it before the upgrade to 14. Both displays act the same. Was wondering if it is expecting the 2020 antenna. Thanks

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
What version did you come from? The position not available warning is new-ish (v11 maybe) and is required for ADS-B with or without the 2020 GPS. The question mark has been on the plane for about 4 years when you don't have a lock. The fact that you see the question mark means SkyView sees the GPS, but the GPS is actively telling us it doesn't have a position lock yet.

It is not expecting the 2020 GPS unless you told it you have one, and they use different baud rates so if you did that it would never work.

mr.sun

I had upgraded from the last version, (12 or 13, I guess), and I've only flown a few times with 14. I do have the SV-ADSB-470 installed and working for the last year or so. My concern was only that it is taking longer to acquire the GPS signal that I'm used to on previous flights.