% Power

davemgill

I know the new firmware hasn't been released yet but I would like to make a suggestion. In the press release you mention that for the % power function to work the EMS needs to be connected to an EFIS, presumably this is for altitude information. Unfortunately I don't have this setup, however I do have a GPS (Garmin 196) connected to the EMS. In an ideal world you would use the pressure altitude but if this wasn't available, as in my setup, could you fall back to using the GPS altitude?

Regards
David

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We'll consider this for a future release, but it won't end up in this release.

GPS will give us indicated altitude, not pressure altitude, so they'll be a small error there, but it shouldn't mess with the calculation more than 1-2%. You will still need an OAT.

acepilot59

I have just up dated to firmward version 3.0 on both my D-100 and D-120. All functions seem to be working well except % of horsepower. It reads ---% under all conditions. I have a Lycoming O-360-A4A engine rated at 180 hp at 2700RPM and it has a carburator. I set the the engine as compression ratio 8.5 and the horsepower as 180. The outside air temperature is from the EFIS. What am I doing wrong?
Mike Howard

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The OAT on the EFIS will not make it over to the EMS. Your OAT must be on your EMS today. The next update will fix this.

If you have a newer, type 2 OAT, you can move it over to the EMS, and the EMS will send it back to the EFIS.

WT9

Is there any chance to get %-Power also for Rotax Engines in a future update?

Regards, John

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Yes, we're looking into it, but unfortunately the % power calculations for a Rotax are about 10X more complex than a Lycoming / Continental engine due to the fact that they really aren't linear at all.

GCDXT

I'm very pleased with the firmware updates to the EFIS D10A and EMS D10 but I'd be grateful if you would clarify respnse #3.  I assume that this means that if we've got the an OAT connected to an EDC 10A then the % power function will be updated at a later date.
best regards
Tom

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Correct - in the future, an OAT hooked through the EDC-D10A will be able to provide the OAT data for the percent power calculation, provided your system has the other required bits for the % power calculation.

LarGriff

Can I select a different compression ratio than 8.5:1 ? Or does that not really affect the calculation?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Right now, engines with an 8.5:1 compression ratio are the only ones we support in our percent power calculations. It's the only type of engine we have enough data on to perform the calculation accurately.