Powerflarm Core Updates

tt

I love flying!
Hello there!

I'm planning to buy powerflarm core but i'm wondering how it is really displayed, and how I can maximize Dynon and Powerflarm in a simple way. I've read old threats about it here and there but I would like an update. So here is my question :

Is Dynon flarm compatible? I don't really care if it's flarm compatible regarding the flarm program, as i flew a non certified plane but I would like to know if Dynon is able to implement the full informations from Powerflarm Core to Dynon Skyview : AdsB, mode S, Flarm AND mode C. Do we have to choose which traffic we want to display, or does it display the full references powerflarm is able to manage on the same display ?

I love the dynon skyview and I would love to use SV-ADSB-470 but it is unfortunately not fully adapted for european market, especially for gliders which are the main danger where i'm flying.

I'm waiting for your answers !

aerofurb

We have SkyView in an RV-12 and installed a PowerFLARM Core a couple of years ago.

It took a bit of time to get the settings right so it displayed okay but we eventually sussed it with help from here (Dutch RV-12 owner!), Dynon and FLARM.

If I remember correctly, we had to purchase the Garmin TIS licence. FLARM and ADS-B targets show up with position, heading and relative height. Mode S/Mode C show up as a ring of targets at the calculated distance (ie bearingless) with a relative height.

screenshot-GTWLV-SN02020-15.0.4.4245-20170304-112612-469-en_US.png
screenshot-GTWLV-SN02020-15.0.4.4245-20170304-123609-222-en_US.png

tt

I love flying!
Ha great !

That means +79euros for the full operationnal system. Maybe the newest flarm system can manage it now. I still don't have an answer for fully compatibility between FLARM and DYNON; but maybe you can tell me more about your experience flying with the system ? Are you happy ? Did you experienced no traffic alarm despite danger AND/OR issues ?

Other question : You don't have to choose on the dynon to display EITHER mode C/S OR adsb/FLARM, it displays everything on the same screen at the same time, right ?

Last edited:

aerofurb

Hi

If I were installing PowerFLARM Core with SkyView now, I'd buy the hardware and then only buy the licences (Garmin and second antenna) if you need them!

It took a bit of effort to get it to work and, as I mentioned, the final assistance came from this forum. I was in discussion with Dynon, FLARM and our (UK based) supplier. I was trying to convince the various parties of the importance of FLARM displaying on SkyView in Europe (to Dynon), and the importance of being able to display FLARM on SkyView due to Dynon's popularity in Europe (to FLARM)!

We wanted it for all traffic and very much for showing the gliders who aren't going to fit anything else unless it's mandated - FLARM works for them and I get that.

System works brilliantly. Just remember the target that appears on the screen may not be the one you see outside the window and the screen won't show non-transponding/non-FLARM traffic - which may be the one that gets you!. We haven't been close enough to anything to get anything apart from normal alerts.

You keep an eye on the screen and get 'traffic' aural alerts but, as with GPS route following - you don't just look at the screen. The nay-sayers think this is what you need to do but that's down to personal training. In reality, you look out the window as before!

The screen shots above just happened to be at different times showing the two types of traffic (FLARM/ADS-B and bearingless). All traffic types display all the time - nothing to choose. You also get an visual alert on the PFD.

If I was considering going down the route again, I'd still go the same way. ADS-B and FLARM are both here to stay, they're recognised by EASA etc and that isn't going to change. There are cheaper alternatives but I still believe that this is the most robust, 'professional' combination.

TouchTheSky

I love flying!
Instead of the PowerFLARM Core, I am using the new AT-1 from Air Avionics which just works fine and displays both ADS-B and FLARM targets on my SkyView here in Germany. I connected it to serial port 3 using Garmin TIS protocol but I never had to buy a license, even not with the previous device, the TRX2000. And to your question, yes, it displays everything on the same screen at the same time.