Powering SkyView with battery for bench testing

sstearns2

Hello,

I am updating my D series panel with 2 D700 Skyview classic displays.

The displays will power up and work per the manual off the Dynon backup batteries. However the displays will not power off of a large 12V battery. I have all 4 red power and all 4 black ground wires ganged together and connected to the battery but the screens will not power up. The battery is showing 12.5V.

What am I missing?? :-?

Thanks,
Scott

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Scott,
There is a yellow LED on the back of SkyView that comes on when it has external power. It's on the Ethernet jack. There's no software or anything else required to make this light turn on. Is it coming on when you hook up the battery? If not, it's almost guaranteed that you have a wiring problem.

sstearns2

I agree that it is probably a wiring problem. In the "getting started" section it states that if the two long black and two long red wires are put across a 12V source then the units should power up. That is not happening for me, so I am trying to figure out what I'm missing...

Thanks,
Scott

K

KRviator

Only thing I can think of is the pins are not fully seated in the plug. Or the pins are mirror-imaged in the plug if you made it yourself - been there, done that myself.... :-?

GalinHdz

I had that happen to me and it was that I didn't make a good solid connection to the battery terminal.   ::)

sstearns2

I checked out the battery and it's in good shape and the connections are solid (Hi Galen, it's Scott from the KIS group).

I checked the connectivity of the harness. I could establish connectivity between pins 1 and 20 to the red wires, but I show no connectivity between pins 21 and 22 and the black wires.

I have two Dynon supplied connectors and neither shows connectivity between the black twisted pair and pins 21 and 22. I removed the connector housing and black wires go into hole 21 and 22 and there are pins in those holes.

There seems to be a problem with the Dynon supplied connector unless I am missing something. It does seem odd that two connectors would have the exact same QC issue.

Scott

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Scott,
That does seem odd. You can bypass the black wires and just run ground to the case of the screen if you want to try it. An alligator clip to the heat sink pins or the cage of the fans works fine.

sstearns2

Okay, disregard. Galin was right. ::)

I found one of my alligator clip leads was intermittent. It works with the power and ground leads directly connected to the battery.

Scott

GalinHdz

Okay, disregard.  Galin was right.   ::)

I found one of my alligator clip leads was intermittent.  It works with the power and ground leads directly connected to the battery.

Scott
Hi Scott, good to see you are on this forum. I tell you, when things get odd it is sometimes best to go back to the KIS (Keep It Simple) principle and check for the obvious.  :cool:

PS; Now I know you are installing a SkyView system so I will need regular updates and lots of photos.
:D