Radio troubleshooting + squelch question

lancair360

Hello all.

Skyview classic and Dynon radios in the plane, circa 2015. I've noticed trouble receiving if I'm farther than maybe 30-50 miles from the station (for example talkiing to center at 16,000').

Is there any function inside the Skyview I can use to check radio perfomance? In setup>com radio I found "current frequency signal strength" but cannot find any reference to that in install manual or pilot's guide. Before I start messing with antenna grounds and SWR meter I thought I'd check.

Squelch question - Why can I only adjust one squelch on the Skyview for BOTH radios and not individually? Sometimes I'll can be monitoring a freq and it will constantly be breaking squelch and is annoying.

Thanks everyone!

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
There isn't any built-in check - you'll want to contact our support team for further help with that.

Marc_J._Zeitlin

Skyview classic and Dynon radios in the plane, circa 2015. I've noticed trouble receiving if I'm farther than maybe 30-50 miles from the station (for example talkiing to center at 16,000').
Probably an antenna issue. If you're flying a Lancair 360 (which I gather from your forum name), then you'll need to investigate what's being used for an antenna in a composite plane. In my COZY MKIV, using Jim Weir's $5 copper tape dipoles, I can receive/transmit to stations/aircraft 100 - 150 miles away. You need to determine the SWR of your antenna(s) in the COM frequency range.

Some possible causes might be:
  1. A monopole antenna with a ground plane that's too small
  2. A dipole with a damaged leg or no toroids may be an issue
  3. Damaged coax cable to either
  4. Loose BNC connection somewhere in the antenna line
  5. Antenna blockage by metal components
  6. Antenna too close to large metal bits

And I'm sure there are others - I'm not an RF expert. Look to the antenna first.

lancair360

Thanks. Antenna diagnostics on the list for mx this winter. Newer Rami antennas. Spoke with one of the engineers at OSH and have him on speed dial for help. My first guess will be bad ground planes. They are there, but I need to ohm them out to check then hook up the SWR meter. One of them is a huge PITA to get to though so….might have to make that one comm 2.

Any idea about setting the squelch? Why can’t I do that individually to each radio? Only one adjustment in the Dynon settings.

lancair360

Problem likely found and solution in progress. Radios are original dynon 425 comms which stink and were replaced by Trig. New radios coming. Problems with the old Dynon radios match what I've been experiencing. Should be the fix. Antennas are fine.

RB-RV9A

I am having issues with my 425, I can receive great but not so good on transmitting. Anyone ran into that?

Rhino

There's no absolutes, but that's typically an antenna issue.

RB-RV9A

is there a better antenna than other. I have an rv9 and I have two bent whip antennas pretty much under pilot and under the passenger. What would be the best brand antenna?

Rhino

Not necessarily, and you need to keep in mind that antenna issues are not always the antenna itself. Often it's the cables and/or connections, ground plane, etc. Check all that first.

RB-RV9A

Not necessarily, and you need to keep in mind that antenna issues are not always the antenna itself. Often it's the cables and/or connections, ground plane, etc. Check all that first.
Got it . I will replace cables first

Rhino

Make sure you have good grounds at both ends, and that the antenna mount itself is well grounded to the airframe.