Radio's receiving all the time glitch?

lancair360

Came out to the hangar today to get some chores done, update databases. Both Dynon comms were receiving on every frequency all the time. Squelch was in normal level, hadn't been touch. Has never happend before. Turns off everything in the hangar and pulled every CB in the plane except comms 1 and 2 and nothing changed it.

After a while comm one stopped this behavior and comm 2 continued. Just as if the squelch was turned way down. Right now I'm chalking it up to a glitch in the matrix but anyone have any ideas?

kurtfly

I love flying!
sounds like you have a strong noise source interfering with your radios. It could be internal or external to your aircraft. Any high current machines operating nearby?

lancair360

sounds like you have a strong noise source interfering with your radios. It could be internal or external to your aircraft. Any high current machines operating nearby?
Nope. That’s the weird thing. Quiet Sunday at the airport and no one around.
Hoping it’s just noise from who knows where like you say and not something else. Strange it’s never happened before.

skysailor

If the airplane was in the hangar try turning off hangar lights etc. I have a friend whose lights will cause this in his plane. Turn off the lights or pull the plane outside and all returns to normal. Seems worse with some lights (LED or flourescent) than others and steel hangar walls/roof also a factor.

lancair360

Did that too.

the only thing I didn’t do was turn on a radio in one of the other planes in the hangar and see if it was happening to them too.

Maybe they were doing some work at the giant military airfield 5 miles away? So strange.
Also, it happened AFTER I updated databases and got a system event 5 error on one of the screens. When I powered up to do the updates everything was normal. After the updates I had the squelch issue, two hydraulic leaks and a failed hydraulic transducer. Doubt those last ones are related but come on really?

See if it keeps happening. Try and isolate more. But like I said, quiet Sunday at the airport and I was the only one around, everything powered down AND it didn’t start until second power up. Hoping glitch but I’m getting tired of all the glitches on the avionics.