Re: AUTOPILOT BEHAVIOUR WITH VER 7.0

Bruno

Hello Support

Since I've loaded Version 7.0 on my Skyview, my autopilot is acting weird.

When selected to a specific altitude, ( Say 3500'  ) it will slowly drift up or down a few hundreds feet and stay there.

If I get it to climb/ descent back to its original altitude, it will stay there for a while and then do it again...

It is pretty annoying and could lead to an altitude bust if not closely monitor ( specially IFR. )

I didn't change a thing in my setting with the 7.0 update..

Can you shed a light on a possible solution??

Thanks

Bruno

preid

This happened to me as well. I needed to make a change in the ALT GAIN and other autopilot settings before I got in closer to the old way.
It did work in 6.2 and there was a change in 7.0, you just confirmed that.

Bruno

Hi Reidvaitor

Glad to know in a special way that I'm not the only one with that kind of behaviour.

Flew the a/c today and it kept on doing the same thing....

What kind of changes did you have to do to the ALT GAIN to fix your problem??

Thanks

Bruno

preid

Bruno;
I went through the inflight tuning guide: page 5-2
http://www.dynonavionics.com/downloads/Install_Guides/SkyView_Autopilot_In-Flight_Tuning_Guide-Rev_A.pdf

best of success!

Bruno

Hi Reidvaitor

That is what I did the first time after installing the autopilot, looks like I'm gonna have to do the same thing again..

Well I needed an excuse to go flying my toy anyway  ;)

Will report back how it works out..

Cheers

Bruno

TRCsmith

If your special VFR then your usually within the tower environment and maneuvering out of the class airspace, therefore flying by hand.
I see the need to have a autopilot working properly and holding the correct altitude accurately. But don't blame the autopilot if you choose to use it in an environment where you are expected to remain at a given altitude plus/minus and knowing it isn't working properly.
"It's the pilots responsibility to ensure that all equipment is working properly prior to flight". The FAA will not find the autopilot at fault!
Just a thought.......

preid

TRC- Thank you for that reminder, but I think you misunderstood the point of this thread. Bruno is attempting to assure the autopilot IS working correctly and not making an excuse.

Bruno;
I, too initially tuned the Autopilot and needed to retune with 7.0. Let me know how it goes. The tuning guide is a slow process but it does get it back to working in time. The best way is to find a cross country trip to go on and use it for tuning the autopilot.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So 6.0 had some pretty big changes to the AP, but there were no changes made from 6.2 to 7.0. There have been a few buttonology tweaks, but the settings that you tuned via the tuning guide in 6.0 or 6.2 should both persist across the upgrade and still fly the aircraft the same way.

So, for those of you experiencing this issue:

1) If you have settings backups from before 7.0 upgrade and after 7.0 it would be very helpful. We're curious what's changing because nothing should be.
2) If not, if you know your before and after sensitivity/gain/other values those would be helpful.

cptbob

I love flying!
I was able to set the roll rate on the earlier version V5 (I think) but now I don't see that option in V7. Where I can do that. May just be me. I had it set to 30 degrees but now want to reduce it.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The ability to set the target bank angle was removed in software version 6.0, and is fixed at 30 degrees. There was never a direct selection for roll rate.

We have heard some other feedback on the removal of this as well and may put it back in with a future software release.

cptbob

I love flying!
Thank you support. :) Yes I would like to see the ability to change bank angle return. Sorry for the incorrect term "roll rate" SHB bank angle but you got it.

Bruno

TRC

''I see the need to have a autopilot working properly and holding the correct altitude accurately. But don't blame the autopilot if you choose to use it in an environment where you are expected to remain at a given altitude plus/minus and knowing it isn't working properly.
"It's the pilots responsibility to ensure that all equipment is working properly prior to flight". The FAA will not find the autopilot at fault!
Just a thought.......''
---------------------
Thank you the reminder but after 40 years in aviation, I think I have a pretty good idea of what is expected of me by ATC or the FAA/MOT.

I also expect the autopilot to work like it is suppose to work and be at the altitude it was set at the time I started looking outside for traffic ( you know the see/avoid thing ,also the pilot's responsability  ;-)

Reidaviator: I flew the a/c the other day and went thru the autopilot in flight set up and the thing work as advertised...go figure...

I'll do a few more flights with it and if it does start acting up again, I will go back to default setting and starts all over again...I'm sure I'll get it to work.

It is a good autopilot for the price paid...It flies an ILS as good ( or close ) as any Boeings I flown..

I will report back the findings..

Bruno

Bruno

Well I flew the a/c today and I'm still getting the same results I had initially..

The autopilot still can't hold an altitude accuratly since I installed Ver 7.0 or 7.01.. :(

It still creep up or down 100 or so feet and just keep on requesting trip changes...It did not do that with the previous software ver 6.02 ..

I only had very light turbulence today so ??

So I will go back to the default setting and hopefully will have time to re-do the inflight set up before putting the aircraft to bed for the winter by the end of November..

I will report back

Bruno

RVDan

I love flying!
Just for the record, I have had the same experience. Pitch was set up per the guide and held +-15 ft. After upgrade to V7.0 /7.01 now won't hold altitude within 100 ft. In turbulence, pitch oscillations can be quite noticeable. Will be trying tuning again next weekend.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Any chance any of you have before/after upgrade settings. Just so you know, 6.0 had drastic changes to the AP, so if you were coming from before 6.0 to 6.0 or later, we wouldn't be surprised to hear about a tuning flight with the new in-flight tuning guide being neccesary to dial the performance back in. BUT, if you already have 6.0 or later, there's virtually nothing new in the AP algorithm, settings, tuning, etc. So that's the part that's stumping us here. It sound like you're reporting a change in performance when we haven't touched the underlying behavior. I'm wondering if the gains/sensitivities have changed on any of the pitch and roll settings across upgrade (they shouldn't be).

Bruno

Hello Support

Sorry but same here than RVDAN I came from 6.xx to 7.00/7.01. I don't have a log file either .

I will start from scratch and see what I get out of it. I've got about 3 to 4 weeks left in this year flying season ( Don't fly the A/C in the winter ) and with the next 2 week almost fully booked, I don't have much time to find a solution..

I will report back the results whenever I have a chance.

Bruno

preid

There is something that changed with the AP for sure. I saw the same results did a couple of flights and made adjustments until it was not overshooting altitudes, and I also saw a 3-4 second delay in anything working, which now is within 1 second (again)
the in flight tuning guide worked, but there is no doubt with 6.X my AP worked and 7.0 required I retune everything, with different settings than I had with 6.0
I happen to have both .dfg before and after. If you want me to send it to you (support) let me know.
Pascal

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Pascal Please do! Email them to support at dynonavionics dot com, with a link to this thread. Do you have before working (6.0), after upgrade not working (7.0) , and after upgrade working again (7.0) by chance? That would be the ideal trio to have.

Bruno

Pascal

I will love to have a copy of your last autopilot settings so I can compare with mine.

Also, in what type of aircraft is your autopilot installed??

I could send you my e-mail via PM if you like.

Thanks

Bruno