Remote compass - "Dip" errors?

BigJohn

My setup: RV-12, D-180, remote compass sensor in empennage.

When I roll into a turn I get a reverse motion of the compass heading, similar to the well known "Magnetic Dip" error in a wet compass. Is this normal in the 180 installation? If I have the AP engaged in heading mode, and attempt to change heading by moving the heading bug, this error introduces a large oscillation while the AP hunts for the correct heading while chasing the compass errors.

I was hoping the D-180 would act more like a gyro heading indicator than a magnetic compass. Am I wrong in thinking this?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Did you do the magnetic calibration? If yes, what numbers did you use for inclination and intensity? And what's your zip code so we can cross-check your numbers here?

BigJohn

Support - thanks for getting back to me.

Your reply prompted me to double check everything.
:-[ Hate to admit it but I had set the MAGINT parameter to the wrong value "Horizontal Intensity" instead of "Total Field". Yes, I missed your note on the previous page.

I will reset the field and re-calibrate, and report back. Probably won't be able to get to this until next week.

I appreciate the help. John

BigJohn

:)Reset the parameter, recalibrated, flight tested with and without autopilot, all is well!