Remote Compass Not Found

chocks_away

We have a D100 unit in our Europa and it has been working faultlessly for 2 years. Last week we suddenly got a message 'remote compass not found' and we lost all heading information.

Had a quick check of wiring connections to the remote compass unit and found all in order.

Is this a known problem? Any suggestions on fault finding?

PhantomPholly

I had this problem, even though all connectors seemed "tight."

I removed all of the female pins and VERY gently squeezed them a tiny bit out of round to "hold" the pins tighter. I have not had the problem recur. Although this is not "proof" that the problem is fixed, it won't hurt and I haven't seen the problem again in the 10 hours since.

DaveBoxall

I too have had this problem (on an RV-9A). During our 15 hour test period the D-100 would "lose" the remote compass nearly every flight. If left alone the compass would stay lost, but if the D-100 was rebooted then the compass would come back. I checked the wiring and it all checked out. Finally I sprayed the contacts with WD40 and everything was fine for 50 hours then the problem recurred.

It's odd because if you unplug & re-plug the remote compass the D-100 finds it immediately, but when it gets lost in flight the D-100 needs a re-boot.

Dave

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We've seen isolated cases where having the EDC-D10A wire running very close to some other wire, like a transponder or radio antenna wire, has potentially caused issues, but nothing concrete. It's something to explore though. If you call tech support at 425-402-0433 or email support at dynonavionics dot com we can explore other solutions with you, including trying a different EDC-D10A in your aircraft.

robertc

Hi
Now that I'm reading this thread I'm concerned. I have a Com antenna cable running for about a foot in a plastic conduit parallel with the EDC-D10A cable. The separation is about 1/2 in. to an inch over the run. Do I need to move one of them?

Thanks

robertc

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Robert,
If we knew for sure, we'd tell you. But RF interference is hard to predict, so we never know for sure. It may work, it may not. Moving it farther away would be your best choice if it's possible.

robertc

Thanks Dynon Support.

I can move the com antenna wire. It just won't be quite as clean.

Thanks

Bob

Flie

We had the same problem with what we found was 2 causes.
1. The heading tape would start to spin when a transmission was made- obvious interference from antenna cable I think
2. Remote compass not found comes up if a mobile phone was too near the remote compass.

Terry