Remote magnetometer

handflyin

I’m building a VFR only Zenith, but I’m planning to have a nice panel with 10” touch.
I was looking at putting a remote magnetometer in the right wing, but looking through a few posts etc. maybe it’s an overkill for a VFR aircraft.
I am open to thoughts on the subject.

Also, I can’t seem to find a manual online how to install it. I know away from metal. Make sure it’s level (have to scratch my head on that), brass screws and nylon bushings.

rjones560

I’m building a VFR only Zenith, but I’m planning to have a nice panel with 10” touch.
I was looking at putting a remote magnetometer in the right wing, but looking through a few posts etc. maybe it’s an overkill for a VFR aircraft.
I am open to thoughts on the subject.

Also, I can’t seem to find a manual online how to install it. I know away from metal. Make sure it’s level (have to scratch my head on that), brass screws and nylon bushings.
The vast majority of installations do not need a magnetometer. The one in the ADAHARS usually works just fine. I have an RV10 set up for IFR. I don’t have a magnetometer.

PaulSS

I love flying!
Being aluminium, something like an RV or Zenith has the advantage of being able to use the built-in magnetometer capabilities of the ADAHRS. In aircraft such as the EuroFOX or Kitfox, with a welded steel fuselage, the built-in magnetometer is terrible and a remote unit is required. It is almost impossible to find a location for the remote installation, apart from the wingtip.

I have a wing tip mounted magnetometer (EuroFOX) and it works perfectly but when helping to build an RV8 the ADAHRS unit was more than adequate. I'm sure you'll find the same with the Zenith......just keep it away from steel.