Request to Restore EMS Lean Mode Function for Rotax Engines

Larbiere

Dear Dynon Team,

I would like to start by expressing my appreciation for your continuous efforts in enhancing the HDX Skyview System through regular updates and improvements.

With great interest, I reviewed the latest update for the HDX Skyview System and noted with regret that the EMS Lean Mode function is no longer available when the Rotax engine type is selected. This is a feature that I have regularly and extensively used.

I operate my Rotax engine with a HACman manual mixture control system, and the EMS Lean Mode has been an indispensable tool for me. The ability to lean the mixture optimally has contributed not only to the efficiency of my engine but also to the overall performance of my aircraft.

Therefore, I kindly request that you consider reinstating the EMS Lean Mode function for Rotax engines in future updates. This would be highly beneficial for many users like myself and would greatly enhance the flexibility and usability of the HDX Skyview System.

Thank you in advance for your time and attention, and I look forward to your positive response.

Best regards,

Jean-Paul

Raymo

I love aviation!
I fly behind a Lycosaur and tried using lean mode once. In my opinion, it is a feature looking for a problem to solve. Just do the big mixture pull (BMP) and adjust for your desired cruise settings from there. Once you know your cruise FF, that's all you really need to target.

Some folks don't understand the concept of the red box and slowly reduce mixture using that feature, which is not ideal for engine longevity.

Marc_J._Zeitlin

I fly behind a Lycosaur and tried using lean mode once. In my opinion, it is a feature looking for a problem to solve. Just do the big mixture pull (BMP) and adjust for your desired cruise settings from there. Once you know your cruise FF, that's all you really need to target.

Some folks don't understand the concept of the red box and slowly reduce mixture using that feature, which is not ideal for engine longevity.
Once you know your engine and have it tuned correctly, you're absolutely right - Lean Mode is not particularly useful. But if you have fuel injection and the ability to change cylinder EGTs individually by swapping injectors, Lean Mode can be VERY useful for determining which cylinder needs what when. Then, once you've got all four cylinders doing exactly the same thing, yeah - just BMP and adjust for whatever power level you want.

tylerpattison

0x44 0x59 0x4e 0x4f 0x4e
Staff member
Jean-Paul - we are looking at this and will probably restore this functionality in a future version of software. No promises at this moment, but know that you have been heard. Thanks for the feedback.