Revisions to Dynon Manuals

thibault

This is in response to complaints by some about the state of Dynon install and user manuals.

I believe that the manuals are excellent right now.  A first time user has all the info needed to install and use the equipment.  I have been a user since version one of Skyview and the only thing I would like to see is a slightly different way of displaying the updated material in new versions.

I currently use the red-lined version to find the changes and that is fine.  What I would like is to have that change info shown in the final document.  MS Word, and probably other programs, directly support everything to do this.  When completed, the "regular version" of the manual has the change bars beside each change, the changed pages reflect the new revision number, unchanged pages are completely unchanged, and any added material flows onto xxa, xxb, xxc pages.  The final document does not show the removed/old material, just the new info.  Nor is there explanation.  The text looks just like the pages do today, but there is a change bar in the margin saying something is different here.  So, imagine a document had pages 1 to 5 unchanged, page 6 had a change that was entirely within that page, page 7 had extra text added that would not fit on that page and page 8 was unchanged.  After the new revision, the pages would be numbered 1 through 7, 7a, and 8.  In this case pages 1 through 5 are the prior revision, 6, 7, and 7a are the current revision and 8 is the prior revision.

My experience using documents that look like this comes from US Air Force technical manuals and the way changes are handled.

Before Skyview came along, I wanted to make the POH for my Lancair reflect my as-built airplane, so I created a Word document from the factory template and maintain it using the same method as the Air Force manuals.

The end product looks like the attached sample pages.  There is a revision log, a list of affected pages, and every page that has changes on it has a vertical bar beside every change.

Again, the effort is mostly done using "track changes" within MS Word.

Attachments

• Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 74
  • ListOfAffectedPages.jpg
    ListOfAffectedPages.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 79
  • PageWithChanges.jpg
    PageWithChanges.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 76

lolachampcar

I have asked several questions on this forum with some responding for me to RTFM (or similar not so vulgar response). On every occasion, the posters were correct. I too find Dynon does a wonderful job with the manual; I just need to develop the patience to actually read it before I ask a question. I'm getting better :)

jakej

Correct :). Wondered when that version was going to be posted. A.s.s.u.m.e. Isn't vulgar either but the message still gets across - sometimes the interpretation of acronyms can be difficult :D

Jake J