Roll Calibration of Skyview PFD

oldpharte

Is there a way to calibrate the roll axis on the Skyview PFD. With the airplane level on the ground my ball indicates a little left of center. I could only find a pitch adjustment in the manual, not a roll adjustment.

FlyRV8

I believe the only way to do a roll calibration is to put shims under the ADAHRS. Your ball is on the left side but does your attitude indicator says the same thing ? If not, be sure to be level.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We don't have roll calibration, you need to physically mount the module accurately.

jakej

Is there a way to calibrate the roll axis on the Skyview PFD. With the airplane level on the ground my ball indicates a little left of center. I could only find a pitch adjustment in the manual, not a roll adjustment.

just have to ask (don't take offence).... did you level the wings or just assume it was level with the floor ? ;)

Jake J

oldpharte

I did level the airplane with a digital level across the cockpit rails. The attitude gyro showed 1/2 deg roll to the left with the ball on the the left line. Sounds like I need to make some very thin shims for the ADAHRS.

jakej

I did level the airplane with a digital level across the cockpit rails. The attitude gyro showed 1/2 deg roll to the left with the ball on the the left line. Sounds like I need to make some very thin shims for the ADAHRS.

Looks like that is the answer, is your digital level out of cal?

FYI - I use the wingtips as a reference point, much more accurate IMO. ;)

Jake J

LesterB

I love flying!
I have the same thing going on, on the ground my slip ball is left of center, but the attitude indicator is showing level flight. If I was to shim the ADAHRS to fix the ball, then my attitude indicator would not be level. Not sure what to do.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
On the ground, when the ball is off center, is the attitude level?

You can easily have a ball off center in flight while wings are level, this is just flying uncoordinated. If both the ball and the roll are off on the ground, then you may just be flying uncoordinated in order to get the wings level.

vmenkal

Great thread.   Im getting the same issue with the ball left of centre with A/C and attitude indicator level.    

Any luck with shimming to correct problem?    Im assuming that the ball is more sensitive than the attitude indicator - i.e. ball would indicate off centre before attitude indicator shows A/C not level - and that a thin shim under left side of ADHRS unit should fix issue.

Appreciate any advice.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Vic - the ball is indeed very sensitive, and you'll see slight deflection in the ball before you see the corresponding roll effect on the attitude indicator, as you describe. If you're centered on the air but not on the ground, then either what you think is level on the ground isn't (tire pressure differential, the ground isn't perfectly level). If it's the other way, you might be a smidge out of rig or trim - something's causing you to fly with one wing very slightly low. Regardless, if you shim that tiny amount out, you'll most likely not see adverse affects.