Roll tracking - Track vs GSS

steve m

Doing some initial setup on the AP (RV10 with Garmin 175). Going through the AP tuning procedure, I thought I had the lateral tracking dialed in using the flowchart. The Dynon procedure has you use "track" mode to verify settings. I felt good about my settings.

Few days later, performing vectors to final on LPV approach and I had a lot of overshoot on joining the final approach course? Is there something inherently different about setup for Track mode vs GSS. Should I repeat setup using GSS mode instead of Track mode?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So, track is less sensitive than GSS, so you might try nudging up your sensitivity setting. Know that our next software release has some work on the core autopilot algorithms, and I think improving this sort of performance is one of the things they are chasing (pun intended). Don't have a firm date on that release though. Our support team does have a settings file from an RV10 pilot who spent lots of time dialing if you want to try that as a "known good" starting spot (for that particular airplane - your milage may vary). If you'd like that, send an email to our support team - contact info is in my signature below.

DBRV10

Our support team does have a settings file from an RV10 pilot who spent lots of time dialing if you want to try that as a "known good" starting spot (for that particular airplane - your milage may vary).

That is likely to be me :)

Few things to look into;

1. Make sure your AP roll servo is connected with the centre hole, not the outer one, and never the inner one.
2. Settings as follows;
Torque 100%
Sensitivity 16
Roll Gain 0.3
Bank Angle Limit 27

Pitch I assume is an SV42T, if not, change it.
Torque 100%
Sensitivity 16-17
Pitch Gain 1.6
Altitude Gain 0.9
Pull rate 2.0
VSI gain 1.5
G Error Gain 1.2
G error limit 0.7

And whenever we get the next version of SV software, I will have a couple more for you ;-)

steve m

"And whenever we get the next version of SV software, I will have a couple more for you ;-)"

Hi, Can you give me your full set of settings for the latest version software for you RV10?

I am 90% happy but wanting to get it dialed in a bit more.
Thx

Steve

DBRV10

I think this what I have currently, give them a try and see how it goes.

Roll Settings;
Torque 100%
Sensitivity 16
Roll Gain 0.3
Bank Angle Limit 27

Pitch Settings (SV42T);
Torque 100%
Sensitivity 16-17
Pitch Gain 1.7
Altitude Gain 0.8
Pull rate 1.0
VSI gain 1.5