Rotating hsi to fly radial?

RudiGreyling

Guys, just started training with a new instructor, not use to efises. He asked me how do you rotate the hsi locked into a vor to the top to fly a radial? I don't undetstand cause I never had to use vor's for navigation before. How does one use the dynon hsi to fly a radial on a VOR? And can it be done if the gps gives the vor position and you don't have a sl30? Thanks

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The answer depends on your panel configuration. What is the full compliment of Dynon equipment, NAV radios, and GPSes in the aircraft?

RudiGreyling

Thanks Dynon,

See below: it is a D100, D120, SL40, GTX 327, AVMAP EKP GPS, TRUtrack AP.

Rudi

rv_final_10.jpg

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
So in your configuration, the only thing that might be possible is using the GPS itself to rotate the direct-to line about the destination, that is, if your GPS (I don't know much about the AvMaps) has such a way to do this. Some other brands units call this sort of feature "virtual vor" or something similar like that, because it essentially allows you to anchor your destination and treat the direct-to course as a radial by spinning it.

Other configurations, such as an SL30 NAV/COM, or a GNS430 NAV/GPS/COM paired with an HS34, do allow for the HS34's course knob to be used in some circumstances to spin VOR radials or the GPS course line in a "virtual VOR" manner. But this is because those devices are specifically set up to receive course settings from external devices like the HS34. Handheld GPSes do not have the ability to accept courses in this way.

RudiGreyling

So in your configuration, the only thing that might be possible is using the GPS itself to rotate the direct-to line about the destination, that is, if your GPS (I don't know much about the AvMaps) has such a way to do this. Some other brands units call this sort of feature "virtual vor" or something similar like that, because it essentially allows you to anchor your destination and treat the direct-to course as a radial by spinning it.

Other configurations, such as an SL30 NAV/COM, or a GNS430 NAV/GPS/COM paired with an HS34, do allow for the HS34's course knob to be used in some circumstances to spin VOR radials or the GPS course line in a "virtual VOR" manner. But this is because those devices are specifically set up to receive course settings from external devices like the HS34. Handheld GPSes do not have the ability to accept courses in this way.

Thank you,

so if I swap out my SL40 for a SL30 and I buy a HS34 then I would be able to spin the HSI on the D100 like a OBS knob. That mean I will not need a traditional CDI/GS head? Why did you say "in some circumstances?"

Regards
Rudi

PS: Maybe move this thread to the "EFIS General Discussion" since it is not Skyview related....

Brantel

Rudi,

For the SL30 you are not required to use the HS34 but it does make it nice since it has extra buttons for switching the sources for the various pointers that the HSI has on it. It also has dedicated knobs on it for rotating the course/OBS.

If you do not use the HS34, you can connect the SL30 to one of your screens and the GPS to the other and use the softkeys on the Dynon to switch which HSI mode/source you want to use. Either the GPS or NAV overlay. The disadvantage to this is that you get either/or not a combination of the two like you can with the HS34. You also get no knobs.

With the SL30, there is three ways you can set the OBS/course....You can set it with the built in knob that is on the SL30, you can set it with the softkeys on the Dynon screen and you can set it with the course knob if you have the HS34. It depends on how you have the SL30 configured as to which way this will work.

The SL30 is a great box and allows a ton of functionality over just a simple serial connection. The only downside to the SL30 is that they cost way too much and they are hard to find on the used market.

The HS34 unlocks the power of Dynon's HSI in that you can have separate sources for each of the three pointers on the HSI. You have a main CDI indicator and two RMI pointers and with the HS34 you can set each of them to whatever you want driving them. The buttons on the HS34 make setting it all up very easy.

The SL30 also has the ability to monitor the standby nav channel which basically gets you a second nav reciever for free. With the HS34 you can have your main CDI indicating the primary nav channel, one of your RMI indicators pointing at the standby nav channel and the second RMI pointing to a GPS waypoint or any other combination you might want. You cannot get this flexibility without the HS34.

Without the HS34, you are limited to either the GPS overlay which only shows GPS information and the NAV overlay which only shows NAV information. The later will however show the standby NAV data on one of the RMI pointers when connected to an SL30 in monitor mode.

PhantomPholly

Brantel has covered most of it as usual.  :)

A cheaper option to add VOR/LOC/ILS capability to your existing setup would be MGL's new (in delivery yet?  If not, very soon) SL-30 compatible NAV receiver (minimum solution) and learn how to use the Dynon soft keys to set the HSI; or also add the HS34 for the convenience of the knobs (really makes it much easier to set Altimeter, too - especially if you actually fly in the soup).  I believe Dynon has some long term plans for such a solution also, but it isn't here today so I don't think I'm being awful in suggesting it since, being SL30 compatible, it should play very nicely with Dynon's products.

Check out this thread for more info.  

Note:  I don't think Dynon's EFIS "knows" how to set / display SL-30 frequencies right now since I don't own an SL30 and haven't looked into it.  Using MGL's solution, you might have to also buy the control head.  Although you can theoretically send NAV frequencies from a Garmin hand held to an SL30 compatible receiver, without a way to display the current frequency this would be neither safe nor legal for use.