Rotax CHT setup

depfer

I love flying!
With only 3 GP inputs, I wired the D180 inputs so that OAT, CHT Cylinder#3, and Flap sensor are the 3 inputs. It isn't a major problem, but I was assuming CHT # 3 being on the passenger side would be CHT R. The only option in setup for the GP I was trying to use for CHT was CHT L. I'm assuming the CHT I used should be right since its on the passenger side. If you only use one CHT, does it automatically get labeled L, or do I have to have the CHT on GP 2 in order to have the option to set it as CHT R ?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The CHT L and R on the GP inputs are only for the Rotax sensors. If you have a third CHT on another engine, you'd be better off using a 3rd thermocouple inputs on the 25 pin connector. Is there a reason that doesn't work? What's your engine, and what do you have for your other CHT/EGTs in the aircraft?

depfer

I love flying!
Thanks for the reply. I have a Rotax 912S and the Zenith Aircraft Instrument panel kit. It did not include any CHT J-type cables, and I had read somewhere in Rotax documents that if you only monitored one cht it should be CHT #3, so I connected it to one of the GP inputs as the only CHT being sensed. As I had said it really doesn't seem to be too much of a problem that the option to select the CHT (L or R), only gave me a "L" option in the list, and I thought CHT #3 should be labeled as "R". My only questions are---Will it have the option of "R" if I put the one and only CHT sensor on GP2 ? Also, shouldn't CHT # 3 being on the passenger side indicate "RIGHT" or "R" ? Since the instrument panel kit did include the special cables (type-K) to monitor EGT to 25-pin male EMS harness, I could go ahead and order some type-J cables, but I had hoped to wait until later for that. Thanks, Jim

depfer

I love flying!
Update info:
I just returned from checking my wiring and I already have Rotax installed Cylinder #3 sensor going to GP2 input, so it doesn't have the "R" option available just by being on GP2.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
So let's step back a second. If you have a 912S, there are TWO CHT sensors already installed on each side of the engine. One per side, but not per cylinder. So they're basically waiting to be hooked up to your Dynon. Because it's a liquid cooled engine, the "CHTs" for both cylinders on each side are basically the same all the time, and so Rotax decided to instrument both heads, essentially, not each cylinder individually. Anyway, our products are designed to monitor both of them, and when they're both connected - they're designed to be CHT L and CHT R on our D10/D180 series products.

depfer

I love flying!
I guess I'll just leave the one on the right connected to GP2 for now, and leave it selected as "L", since that is the only option, which doesn't appear to matter anyway. As I indicated, I have Flaps on GP1 and OAT on GP3, so I have used up the 3 GP inputs. I guess what I should do is to remove the flap sensor on GP1 and use GP1 and GP2 to get the CHT L and CHT R temperatures and install a separate flap indicator.
Thanks for the information. Jim

uniflying

I love flying!
We have a 2011 PiperSport with the 912 ULS and it came from the factory with the LH side CHT sensor wires disconnected. They are nicely tucked away and secured to the engine. But just aren't connected.

jkiefer

I love flying!
I have a 2010 Piper Sport with a Rotax 912ULS and the EMS 120. The Rotax has CHT probes on the No 3 and No. 2 clyinders but only the No. 3 is connected to the EMS 120. What hardwarde do I need and what do I need to do to connect the No. 2?

Roger_Lee

You'll only need a wire with the spade connector to connect it to the CHT probe and then run it into your panel and hook it up to the Dynon pin connector.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Without knowing exactly how the PiperSport is wired, we can't say if this is possible. There may be no free inputs on the D-120 to accept the other CHT.

Additionally, if this is still an S-LSA, you need the manufacturer's authorization to make a change like this.

jkiefer

I love flying!
The CHT sensor on Cylinder 3 of my Rotax 912ULS is connected to GP 1 (pin 4) and is designated L CHT on my D-120 - the only option available. I just connected the CHT sensor on cylinder 2 to GP 2 (pin 22) of the D-120 and it is designated R CHT. The problem is of course that GP 1 is actually displaying the CHT of the right side and GP2 is actually displaying the left side CHT. I though I could fix this by just reversing the wires connecting the two sensors to the D-120 but this generated numerous Low CHT alarms and unstable CHT readings, especially on GP 2. Is there any way to fix this? I'm especially anxious to have the screen display the correct CHTs in the same order and position as the EGTs which are are correctly displayed in the proper order and it would be nice and safer if the two read outs matched.