RS 232

Mddriver

I love flying!
I'm planning to connect a KLN 94 GPS to a D10A through the HS-34. The KLN 94 puts out RS232. Would this simply be a two wire connection to one of the sets of Serial TX and RX pins?
Will that handle the OBS resolver signals also?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You will likely need to use the ARINC-429 connections, not the RS-232. RS-232 does not support a resolver.

It doesn't look like we've ever had a confirmed report of a KLN94 working. The KLN90 does, but the 94 is a replacement for the 89, not the 90, so they do have some differences.

Given that, we can't promise that it will work.

Mddriver

I love flying!
The KLN 94 does not have ARINC-429 output, only RS232 and analog. I have confirmation from another user that the RS232 from the KLN 94 will successfully provide track, groundspeed, distance from course centerline, etc. i.e. enough to draw the HSI/CDI.
Via the HS-34, do you think it would be possible to also use the analog resolver inputs? Can the configurations be set to accept RS232 input and simultaneously analog resolver inputs?
If so, the KLN-94 has the following OBS connections:
OBS OUT
OBS SIN
OBS COS
OBS RETURN
Can you correlate these to the Resolver C,G,H,D,E,F connections on the HS-34
Thanks you.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Unfortunately, our experience is that the analog inputs on the HS34 are not compatible with King equipment. We designed those inputs around analog outputs from one Garmin product, and apparently there's not very much commonality on those signals between those two vendors.

The KLN 94 does not have ARINC-429 output, only RS232 and analog. I have confirmation from another user that the RS232 from the KLN 94 will successfully provide track, groundspeed, distance from course centerline, etc. i.e. enough to draw the HSI/CDI.
Via the HS-34, do you think it would be possible to also use the analog resolver inputs? Can the configurations be set to accept RS232 input and simultaneously analog resolver inputs?
If so, the KLN-94 has the following OBS connections:
OBS OUT
OBS SIN
OBS COS
OBS RETURN
Can you correlate these to the Resolver C,G,H,D,E,F connections on the HS-34
Thanks you.

Mddriver

I love flying!
Ok, thanks. Just one more question for now.
If I connect the GPS to the HS34 Serial 1 pins, and the dsub "laptop" connector to the Serial 2 pins, will I still need to disconnect the GPS before doing firmware updates?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
This is explained in the HS34 appendix in the EFIS-D10A, EFIS-D100, and FlightDEK-D180 Installation Guides.

You have the use of the HS34 serial inputs reversed.

Connect the 25-pin Male connector Pin 1 as the PC serial port RX (along with Pin 14 - PC serial port TX) for updates from a PC. On an HS34, updates from a PC will only work on Serial 1.

Thus, connect 25-pin male connector Pin 2 (GPS, SL30 Input) to the GPS' TX.

Then, no, you will not have to disconnect the GPS to perform updates on the HS34.

Ok, thanks. Just one more question for now.
If I connect the GPS to the HS34 Serial 1 pins, and the dsub "laptop" connector to the Serial 2 pins, will I still need to disconnect the GPS before doing firmware updates?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Wow Jake - I guess there's always a first ;)

EFIS-D10A and EFIS-D100 have only one serial input, so that must be shared between a GPS/SL30 and the PC connection. Thus, the GPS/SL30 MUST be disconnected to use the PC connection.

If you have an EMS-D10 or EMS-D120 (but not an HS34), those have a second serial input for GPS/SL30, so those DON'T require disconnecting the GPS/SL30 to use the PC connection.

If you have both an EFIS (-D10A or -D100) and an EMS (-D10 or -D120), the GPS/SL30 connection is made to the second serial port of the EMS and shared over DSAB to the EFIS. Thus in that situation, you don't have to connect the GPS/SL30 from the EFIS (it's not CONNECTED to the EFIS).

If you have a FlightDEK-D180, it's effectively an EFIS and EMS in the same box; has the same electronics, thus also has a second serial port on the 37-pin connector).

If you have an HS34, see previous message; the data from the connected GPS/SL30 is shared with the EFIS over DSAB.

My bad, I was thinking of the general rule that applies to the Dynon screens, not the HS34  :-[

jakej

Too hard to remember all the various connect/disconnects. My simple solution is to just disconnect the Gps anyway :)

Now if you could just reduce the size of the Skyview Manuals life would be easier there too. With people asking for more features I guess that isn't going to happen any time soon, fact of life now but really feel for those trying to understand it all.

Mddriver

I love flying!
Just an update for those thinking of connecting a KLN-94. I finally completed my installation via the Serial 2 pins on the HS-34. Aviation format, 9600 Baud. It can confirm that it works sending course, track, course deviation, and distance data to the D10A. No resolver feedback to the GPS, as predicted. Two waypoints must be active in the flightplan page in order for info to appear on the EFIS.