RS232 to SV261 transponder question

RV8MW

I plan to send my garmin 430W in for the software updated for ADSB and connect it to my SV261 transponder.My question is can the RS 232 out of the 430 share the connection with my ELT or will I need separate wire. I hate to have to disassemble the connector shell on the 430 If I don't have to. I already have the ELT connected to the 430 for gps position.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It's doubtful the connection can be shared, but that's a question for your ELT manufacturer. They are all different, and you need to ask if your ELT accepts ADS-B+ format data. The format is proprietary to Garmin so I doubt most ELT manufacturers have bothered to reverse engineer it.

thibault

Hope you aren't planning to send your unit to the Garmin factory for a S/W update.  It is really expensive that way.

My local avionics shop did it for about $50.00, they just have to be a registered Garmin dealer.

RV8MW

No I've already been forewarned of this. Emailed stein air today that's were the unit came from. There is not a local garmin dealer close by to me but I sure hate to UPS it.

Garrett

I love flying!
Sounds like a good excuse for a cross country flight. The update just takes a few minutes.