Rv10 AP settings?

RudiGreyling

Guys,

I am looking for a RV10 skyview autopilot settings for 42 roll servo and 42T pitch servo.

If you fly a rv10, pease help, or dynon support let me know.

Thanx in advance
Rudi

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Here are some settings that have been known to work well for a couple of customers. Your mileage may vary:

Torque 90
Sens 20
Aspd min 83
Airsp max 190
Vspd 500
Pitch gain 30
Alt gain 18
Vsi gain 25
Pull rate 18
G err gain 16
G err limit 17

RudiGreyling

Hi Support,

Please check that settings, I tried today, and some of those values are way too high for the skieview and cannot be entered skyview dismiss them...maybe there is a decimal point missing?

In addition I am getting a lot of 42 roll servo slip in slight turbulance?

Kind Regards
Rudi

DBRV10

670 hours on our RV10

Had this problem before.

My personal opinion based on many hours in thermally regions as follows.

RV10 Roll servo is best as a SV52, connected on the middle hole, and set at 90%

SV52T.....not that it exists :cool: but a SV42T and set at 100%

These may help.

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_02951.jpg

Not sure if you have a classic or sky view, so you may have to scale those settings by looking at the manuals

Hope it helps!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The values in SkyView are divided by 10, except for G err limit, which is divided by 100.

jc2da

I had plenty of time to feel out the autopilot on the trip to/from Oshkosh. I have an RV-10 with SV42 and SV42T. Roll servo is set to middle hole on arm.

I am using the default values, which i don't have in front of me at the moment. However, I mostly played with the sensitivity value first. Torque is both at 100%.

I had sensitivity tuned up to 12 on pitch and roll. Over some thermals over Colorado, Nebraska and Iowa, my friend complained about the jerkiness of the AP jerking the plane around. I started to lower the sensitivity settings down to 5 or 6. The ride was definitely more comfortable here, as the plane was allowed to roll with the ups and downs instead of trying to instantaneously correct.

However, the problem with sensitivity=5 was the plane would roll left, then right, then left, then right. Pitch would go up then down up down up down. It seemed like the AP would target the target track or altitude, but then overshoot it. It would get into a cycle, constantly trying to find the target.

It needed a shock absorber to help it. By the end of the trip, i settled on sensitivity=6 and i would manually set the heading and or pitch. Effectively, i was acting as the shock-absorber for the AP so that it wouldn't continually cycle back and forth. Once on target, the AP could hold fairly well until taking a bigger turbulence hit or so.

Also, I had to continually try to dampen turbulence with rudder for a more comfortable ride. I would love to see an auto yaw servo!

Jae

Bruno

Hello Support

Just found out about this old post
------------------------
''Here are some settings that have been known to work well for a couple of customers. Your mileage may vary:

Torque 90
Sens 20
Aspd min 83
Airsp max 190
Vspd 500
Pitch gain 30
Alt gain 18
Vsi gain 25
Pull rate 18
G err gain 16
G err limit 17

Will these numbers apply also to an RV-4 with an SV-32 Servo for pitch or if not would you have numbers that apply to my case that I could use as ball park setting??..

Thanks

Bruno

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The RV-10 and the RV-4 are pretty different airplanes in flying characteristics, so they may not transfer perfectly. I don't think we have suggestions for the RV-4, but I'll post them here if they exist after checking into it.

Solana

I love flying!
Here is another old post from Dynon Tech support that I found through google. It might answer my question about how to use these autopilot settings:

“If the airplane is flying smoothly and holding an altitude, the thing to do is to increase ALT GAIN slowly until the correct altitude is held. After that you may need to increase VSI gain if it overshoots the target alt after a climb or descent.
Increasing ALT GAIN will also cause the AP to hold the desired vertical speed until nearer to the target altitude, and not round out so soon.
Here are the complete tuning instructions for your convenience:

TORQUE:
Adjust until servo does not slip during normal AP flight, and be comfortably overridden by the pilot.

SENSITIVITY:
ADJUST TORQUE FIRST
Increase gradually until airplane "twitches" when on altitude, then reduce by one
or two. If servo slips, increase torque.

PITCH GAIN:
ADJUST SENSITIVITY FIRST
After sensitivity is set, increase gradually if airplane does not settle on altitude.

Altitude Gain:
ADJUST SENSITIVITY FIRST
Increase gradually if airplane levels off too soon.
Reduce gradually if airplane overshoots altitudes after climbs or descents.

Pull Rate:
ADJUST SENSITIVITY FIRST
Controls the rate the AP will pull when changing vertical speed.

VSI GAIN:
ADJUST SENSITIVTY FIRST
ADJUST ALTITUDE GAIN FIRST
Increase gradually if overshooting climbs, decrease if rounding out too early.

G_error_gain:
ADJUST SENSITIVITY FIRST
Increase if bumps are not smoothed enough; Decrease if ride is too harsh.

G_err_limit:
ADJUST SENSITIVITY FIRST
Controls the max G the autopilot will push or pull to correct a bump (up to the G limiter).

--
Mike Huff
Dynon Technical Support”

Rick Solana