RV12 Autopilot not working correctly

mangan01

I have a RV-12 with D180 running ver. 5.4.0 My Ap74 is not fully functional. I cannot use track and nav..both will not lite up when pushed. Heading and alt work fine.
When I do a DSAB config. I get an error when I push finish and autopilot goes off. don't know if this unit has ever worked.
I have been able to calibrate the servos. The autopilot and servos show up as present in status report.
Any Ideas.
:-/

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
So fundamentally that means that there isn't a valid NAV source - either a GPS or a NAV radio, feeding the AP at that moment. It doesn't imply a problem with the AP74. If you aren't getting either the GPS or NAV light lighting up on the AP74 when you press the NAV SRC button on it, then there's a wiring or configuration problem. If that's the case, give our tech support staff a holler at 425-402-0433 for some further assistance.

mangan01

With the help of tech support I was able to fix the problems I had with AP74. first problem was gps not set up right. I reset the options in set up menu of Garmin 396.
second problem was the white wire going to the blue wire of the ELT was shortted out (Vans says this hookup is not necessary as they do not supply the modual to make it work)
This white wire is shielded and when cut , the shield grnds out
rs232 of the gps. make sure when terminating this wire that you strip back the shielding. :D