RV12 Oil pressure sensor options

richardsmi

I love flying!
Having had my Honewell oil pressure sensor fail three times on my RV12 fitted with a D180 I would like to ask what other types of oil pressure sender can be fitted without having to make wiring changes? I can see that a Sensor 1 can be selected ...Is this the VDO unit and can the wiring supplied by Vans for the RV12 be used without change?
If not what mods are required?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Type 1 is the VDO style, but note that both Rotax and us moved away from them for the same reason - they're not very reliable. I believe Rotax now has a new replacement Honeywell-style sensor that's not the same Honeywell one you've been going through that's designed to help with that reliability. Lockwood should have them.

richardsmi

I love flying!
Thank you for your response, however as I am in the UK "Lockwood" doesn't mean anything to me.
Could you give me some contact details please?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Ah. I'm not as familiar with the Rotax parts distribution in the UK. You might start with a Rotax distributor in the UK and see what advice they have for obtaining the latest sensor locally. It looks like http://www.skydrive.co.uk/ might be a major distributor of the engines and parts.

As for the new part - you're after Rotax p/n 456180. See www.flyrotax.com/portaldata/5/dokus/d05265.pdf for more details from Rotax themselves. Actually, with a little more searching, it looks like you can get it from http://www.aircraftspruce.eu/Rotax-912-914-oil-pressure-sensor.htm

richardsmi

I love flying!
Thank you for your reply.
I have been advised to try the VDO style sensor which I will do.
Please could you confirm that the wiring from the D180 which is in place to feed a Honeywell sensor can be used to feed the original VDO type without any modification apart from calling up a type 1 sensor instead of a type 4 on the Dynon?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So please refer to the installation manual for the full details, but, you'll only be using 2 of the 3 wires you were using for the Honeywell. You also will need to remove the 200 ohm resistor. The case of the VDO style goes to ground, and the output terminal goes to pin 6 on the D180 (just like the white wire from the Honeywell sensor used to).

richardsmi

I love flying!
Thanks for your help. After much reading, asking and consideration I was not prepared to mess about and try to eliminate the 200 ohm resistor, so , reluctantly I am having to fall back on the Honeywell sender :mad:

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So again - that newest sensor that I pointed to before is identical to the Honeywell from an installation perspective - but it's not "the honeywell" sensor that had been failing (as you've experienced). We can't vouch for it, since it hasn't been out in the world for too long, but, it's Rotax's current recommendation.

Gagarin737

I love flying!
Don't forget to order the connector part number 881302 for the new oil pressure sensor.