SA Chart Data

pacecapt

I had a discussion yesterday with a fellow pilot who uses a Skyview Touch in his RV-12. I have an HDX (2 Screens) in my VFR experimental Zenith, I also carry an IPad with Foreflight. I was under the impression that I needed a subscription to a Chart Data service in order to have my Dynon maps work properly. We are both VFR pilots who fly locally with the occasional longer cross country flight. He only uses the "free" map updates from Dynon. My question what would be lacking if I cancelled my Chart Data subscription and only used the Dynon DB updates?

Marc_J._Zeitlin

I had a discussion yesterday with a fellow pilot who uses a Skyview Touch in his RV-12. I have an HDX (2 Screens) in my VFR experimental Zenith, I also carry an IPad with Foreflight. I was under the impression that I needed a subscription to a Chart Data service in order to have my Dynon maps work properly. We are both VFR pilots who fly locally with the occasional longer cross country flight. He only uses the "free" map updates from Dynon. My question what would be lacking if I cancelled my Chart Data subscription and only used the Dynon DB updates?
Sectionals. Nothing else (for VFR). Definitely not "required", although nice. If you've got FF on an iPad, you've already got sectionals, so...

RB-RV9A

Agreed. If you have FF your are better off looking at the charts on it instead of the dynon.

N951DZ

I love flying!
I believe your Dynon HDX units provide a lifetime subscription to the Seattle Avionics map updates. No point in having an additional subscription.
Also consider the Seattle Avionics FlyQ service for the iPad. Maybe less expensive than ForeFlight for your needs.

Rhino

Dynon does not provide SA subscriptions. Dynon provides the base map and aviation/obstacle databases. You must have a subscription through a provider such as SA to get sectionals, which will likely also include aviation/obstacle databases.