Savvy Analysis Advice

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
I just started a Pro subscription to Savvy. I am struggling to understand the flight log names so I am asking for advice on how to understand and manage the data.

I cannot seem to discern easily what date and time the flight was on by looking at the stack of file names on the Savvy website and what they mean. It seems that each time I turn on Skyview it is showing as a "flight".

Some of the file names have the same date and Z time but they all have slightly different file names...some are called "Black Box" so can someone please give me some tips on how to name these files to make heads/tails of what is going on???

Here is what the stack look like:

2018-02-14 19:28 SN2295-15.2.0.4389-BLACK_BOX_LOG_DATA.csv
2018-02-14 19:14 SN2295-15.2.0.4389-USER_LOG_DATA-PART_04-6.csv 2018-02-15 19:14 SN2295-15.2.0.4389-USER_LOG_DATA-PART_04.csv
2018-02-06 22:22 SN2295-15.2.0.4389-USER_LOG_DATA-PART_04.csv
2018-02-06 22:22 SN2295-15.2.0.4389-USER_LOG_DATA-PART_04-2.csv
2018-02-06 22:22 SN2295-15.2.0.4389-USER_LOG_DATA-PART_04-3.csv
2018-02-06 22:22 SN2295-15.2.0.4389-USER_LOG_DATA-PART_04-4.csv
2018-02-06 22:22 SN2295-15.2.0.4389-USER_LOG_DATA-PART_04-5.csv
2018-02-06 22:22 SN2295-15.2.0.4389-USER_LOG_DATA-PART_04-6.csv
2018-02-06 22:22 SN2295-15.2.0.4389-USER_LOG_DATA-PART_04.csv

THANKS!!!

mmarien

Murray M.
I believe every time you update the software OR change the configuration file (change the ENGINE display settings) Skyview creates a new USER_LOG_DATA_PART file. They are numbered. Unless you are looking for something specific that happened in the last 15 minutes of the last flight then the USER_LOG_DATA_PART file are the ones you want. The BLACK_BOX_LOG_DATA is the last 15 minutes of the last flight you took and is recorded at 16 times a second (16Hz). There is only one file as it is a rotating file with the last 15 minutes of data. You can also upload it for analysis but for some reason that didn't work for me when I needed it. It was considered a NON flight. That was a while ago.

You can ignore any of the USER_LOG_DATA_PART files that are small (byte size). They probably don't have flights in them. They are created when you turn on Skyview and then turn it off without any flight time. If you changed something in Skyview it'll create a new USER_LOG_DATA_PART_XX file. I ended up with a ton of PART_XX files the last time I messed with the ENGINE settings.

You can upload all the USER_LOG_DATA files to Savvy. In the FLIGHTS pages all the REAL flights will be listed. You can delete any flights listed that you know are not real flights. I think Savvy is doing a better job of not listing non flights but they do show up when you go Previous or Next Flight.

You can also delete any flights that show up as duplicates on Savvy. This happens if you downloaded your USER LOGS but didn't delete them from Skyview. The next time you download and then upload them to Savvy you will have duplicate flights.

Savvy doesn't have any limit on the number of files that you can have stored on their web site. I have 844 flights listed under my account. I systematically upload all my USER LOGS even if I don't use them for analysis. I believe they use the data for BIG DATA analysis. In one article they did an analysis of what the percentage of flight were against the wind as opposed to with the wind. According to Savvy you are correct in thinking that you fly into a wind more often than with the wind. They had a reason but I can't remember what it was. Poor flight planning maybe? ;D ;D

vcordero

I love flying!
Is anyone having this problem with Savvy and the csv User logs.
Savvy can no longer read my User Logs when I upload them to their site for analysis.
This started about 3 weeks ago. The User Logs take a long time to process then they fail to display on the Savvy site.
Someone may have already figured this out and has a fix.
Thx, Victor in Florida

jc2da

I just uploaded my most recent data dated Apr 14th, 2019. It uploaded fine. The processing step took a couple of minutes to complete for a full set of data. 55mb file.

Just one data point.

jc2da

I just uploaded my most recent data dated Apr 14th, 2019. It uploaded fine. The processing step took a couple of minutes to complete for a full set of data. 55mb file.

Just one data point.

swatson999

Is anyone having this problem with Savvy and the csv User logs.
Savvy can no longer read my User Logs when I upload them to their site for analysis.
This started about 3 weeks ago. The User Logs take a long time to process then they fail to display on the Savvy site.
Someone may have already figured this out and has a fix.
Thx, Victor in Florida

Ummmmm....why not ask the Savvy Analysis folks? Doubt that Dynon support will fix a problem with Savvy's database :)

This has happened occasionally with Savvy, usually when they update their DB ingest routines to accept more types of data. They always fix it right away when someone contacts them about it.

swaneymj

I have had the same problem since approximately April 1st (no foolin').  I also thought it might be a SavvyAnalysis upload issue, but it's not.  Comparing user data logs from March to the logs I downloaded in April shows the problem.  The GPS date/time is missing or unknown on the later data logs. I updated the software to v15.3.5 and flew today with the same results.  Guess I'll have to call Dynon on Monday unless someone else has found the problem?   :-/

hoyden

After every flight I save the user data logs to the thumb drive and then delete the logs on both Dynon displays. No problem uploading them to Savvy but the process can take several minutes to complete processing.

It would be nice if there was a single button I could press after saving data logs that would delete them in place of the knob dance I do to get to the delete log menu (back, down, right, up, right, down, yes).

preid

Sounds like the GPS issue to me. Open the excel and see if the date and time field have any data. If you see “unknown...l it’s the GPS issue Dynon is working on resolving.

swaneymj

I checked the downloaded data and the GPS Date & Time column says UNKNOWN_DATE_TIME.  But the other GPS fields seem to be populated correctly.  There is changing data for LAT, LONG, GPS Altitude, Ground Speed, Ground Track, Mag Var, etc.  Even the system time seems to be correct.  Strange!
:mad:

preid

That is exactly the symptoms of the SV250 GPS reset. Savvy needs that date and time to populate the data log.
Dynon is working on a patch to resolve that. No worries your GPS works fine - just no savvy until resolved.

preid

From VAF by Dynon: "... there is indeed a fix for the fix so to speak. There was a math rounding error in the first fix software that again caused the date and time to be invalid.  We do have another version out to correct that issue."

SkyView HDX 1100:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dlg1xHqx7Mjb_iPlt43vPMVKrMK_Svvo/view?usp=sharing

SkyView HDX 800:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EFVVpgym_I_csNk2HywvsW_nrZfsFPWz/view?usp=sharing

SkyView Classic and Touch
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c950rM1L6AG5fxoryV-kGoInH5Imv1MU/view?usp=sharing

RV8JD

The links in the previous post are for SkyView Software Ver. 15.4.4.5456 to fix the issue.  Here is a link to the post from Don Jones (Dynon) on VAF:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1347221&postcount=7

One might be lead to believe that Dynon supports the VAF forum better than its own Dynon Forum!

swaneymj

Garmin (and many other avionics companies) put out service bulletins on this issue.  The avionics industry has labeled this the Y2K of GPS.  Garmin said they'd been testing for the GPS Week Number Rollover for several years.  Did I miss the communication from Dynon to their customers on this???
:mad:

P.S.  I received the links to the software fix tonight by email from Don Jones, Dynon Technical Support Manager. I appreciate the personal support - but it's more than a few weeks late!  I just wonder how many other folks will have to drill down through the forum (or the VAF forum) to find the answer to this problem?  Despite an assurance in a previous post that the GPS is working just fine, that doesn't explain the problems that may have been caused by the resulting inaccuracy in the Mag Var and possibly other corrupted parameters as a result of the loss of date/time. Wind calculations were probably off as a result. It appears to me to be more than just a "SavvyAnalysis" issue.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
You're right - we've been digging into the issue and will have a service bulletin available shortly. By the way, all of the software versions available on the forums are pre-release tests for people willing to load software that hasn't gone through our release process.

preid

Support
I know it takes time and effort when there is the bonanza release of 15.3.5, to get a fix for the date and time. I really needed that fix for engine troubleshooting on savvy and am greatful  for the effort to get it released.
I’m willing to beta test it!
Thank you!!!