Savyanalysis and Dynon

DonFromTX

I love flying!
I have my Skyview set for MPH and F temps, but the Savy gives me centigrade temps. Is there some place I can change this?

dutchroll

"Flight Data" > "My Aircraft" > "Actions" (on right side of the View Aircraft screen) > Unit conversions

From that you can select a "series" (ie, the measured parameter you want to convert) and apply the unit conversions to it.

Although my experience is that the file uploads in SavvyAnalysis are simply displayed however the instrument units are recorded in your aircraft at the time, so that seems strange.

Eg I have some early test flights in the USA which were set to deg F in the (non-Dynon) engine instrumentation and display that way in Savvy. However when my plane was imported we reset the engine units to deg C and they all now record and display in deg C in Savvy. The only problem this leads to is that you can only set your Savvy CHT alert in one or the other and that gets applied to all data downloads, so those early flights have false "overtemps" indicated in the Savvy data display whereas the deg C ones do not.

swatson999

Although my experience is that the file uploads in SavvyAnalysis are simply displayed however the instrument units are recorded in your aircraft at the time, so that seems strange.

Agreed. Savvy is just displaying the numbers as they're coming from the Dynon file, with no units specified on the axes.

Don, are you sure you don't *already* have a conversion factor being applied, from F to C, in Savvy?

DonFromTX

I love flying!
Wow, that is neat, exactly what I am looking for.
I was able to convert the oil temp quick and easy, but the Coolnt temp and ground speed to MPH would not work. I think it has something to do with adding a "series" whatever that means. I tried just "temperatures" and "speed" as a series title, did not work.

"Flight Data" > "My Aircraft" > "Actions" (on right side of the View Aircraft screen) > Unit conversions

From that you can select a "series" (ie, the measured parameter you want to convert) and apply the unit conversions to it.

Eg I have some early test flights in the USA which were set to deg F in the (non-Dynon) engine instrumentation and display that way in Savvy. However when my plane was imported we reset the engine units to deg C and they all now record and display in deg C in Savvy. The only problem this leads to is that you can only set your Savvy CHT alert in one or the other and that gets applied to all data downloads, so those early flights have false "overtemps" indicated in the Savvy data display whereas the deg C ones do not.

swatson999

So I found, buried in the Savvy Analysis Help file, a screenshot that indicates that there is a setting for *all* units that can be set somehow (although I couldn't find how to change it).

If you look at the Help file, on p. 11, there's a screenshot for a request for analysis that indicates

"Measurement Units: US"

I suggest contacting Savvy and asking them if yours is set to something else. That would explain why everyone else is seeing degrees F, speed in knots, etc., on Savvy and you're not (if for some reason it's set to something like Europe or International or whatever the other options are).

Send 'em an email. Let us know what you find out.

I know from day 1 I never had to do anything with conversions or anything, and they've always shown up in the correct units (the Dynon file does, I just confirmed, use SI units for temps, although it uses inHg for MAP, PSI for oil pressure, feet, knots, nautical miles, etc.).

I'm guessing that's your problem.

dutchroll

I think it has something to do with adding a "series" whatever that means.  I tried just "temperatures" and "speed" as a series title, did not work.
A "series" is not well explained on the website.

I typed in the exact matching abbreviations for the data recorded on my unit and it magically came up with a "popup" list matching all the various "series".

Eg "rpm" "oil press" "ff" "fp" "amps" "volts" (without the inverted commas)

swatson999

I think it has something to do with adding a "series" whatever that means.  I tried just "temperatures" and "speed" as a series title, did not work.
A "series" is not well explained on the website.

I typed in the exact matching abbreviations for the data recorded on my unit and it magically came up with a "popup" list matching all the various "series".

Eg "rpm" "oil press" "ff" "fp" "amps" "volts" (without the inverted commas)

Hey, yeah, I see that now...actually typing anything (even a letter) and then backspacing to delete it and you can see the whole list of available series.

Not very intuitive, but there you have it!