Screen shots

lalnaes

When doing a screenshot using the 2+7 key combination to a USB memory stick, the system only allows one shot. When attempting a second shot, I get an error message. I forget the exact text, but it is something to the effect "Memory stick full". I've tried it with both Dynon's 4GB stick and my own SanDisk 16GB. I had the same problem with previous firmware releases. Anyone else experienced this? Could there be an issue with the way the stick is formatted?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
That is not normal behavior for SkyView, in v3.2 or previous firmware. Normal behavior is for SkyView to be busy for a few seconds saving the screen shot, but then be able to take another one, to the limits of the USB flash drive.

How long does it take to save the screen shot? If more than a few seconds, something isn't quite right.

korspich

I have exactly the same problem. Screen shots did work and now i get either of two messages... screenshot missing external drive or something along the lines of "usb device is full" . I have uploaded latest version of firmware successfully so there seems to be no problem in that direction. The usb stick does receive some information but it seems to be corrupted and cant be read.... appears as black screen

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I just took about 15 screenshots in a row under 3.2 with no issues and a ton of other stuff on the drive.

Can you try another USB stick or maybe reformatting the one you have and let us know if either thing fixes it?

korspich

I have used 3 different usb sticks.. all reformatted and one card reader, as soon as i press key 2 and 7 i get the message "screenshot external drive missing". I have only ever taken one screen shot before. Once in a while it also hangs on first dynon logo screen which i solve by resetting or restarting. the new version 3.2 firmware didnt cause the problem it was there before i uploaded... i uploaded this version to see if the skyview was talking to the usb stick

thibault

Which USB input are you using? The one in the harness, or directly connected to the back of the screen, or on a cable extender plugged in to the back of the screen?

Try inserting a USB stick with system files on it to the input that has given you trouble, then try a screen shot save. If it gives you the reported error, then go into the system menus and see if the OS will report the presence of the stick and let you see the system files.

If the OS sees the system files, then the stick and USB physical connection are good. In this case, what gives Dynon?

If the system files are not visible, try the other USB input ports and repeat the above. Please report back the results.

korspich

Im away for a couple of days, ill try your suggestions as soon as i get back and post my findings..

BBGLASAIR

I also get the message, "Screenshot External Drive Missing", but only occasionally. After a few tries, it works normally. I have an after market USB extension cable going to the panel. It is attached to the USB extension cable in the Dynon harness.    BB

korspich

I was plugging the usb stick into the dynon supplied harness. The OS knows the usb stick is there on the harness as it tells me the free space available for down load from the skyview, but I cannot get a screen shot from it. I tried the usb port in the back of the skyview with immediate success.. which sort of suggests a wiring problem in the harness. I will use the rear port until i can get someone with the right tools to check the harness. There maybe a wiring problem with a few systems. Thanks everyone for suggestions

jakej

I was plugging the usb stick into the dynon supplied harness. The OS knows the usb stick is there on the harness as it tells me the free space available for down load from the skyview, but I cannot get a screen shot from it.  I tried the usb port in the back of the skyview with immediate success.. which sort of suggests a wiring problem in the harness. I will use the rear port until i can get someone with the right tools to check the harness. There maybe a wiring problem with a few systems.   Thanks everyone for suggestions

Wally

The USB cable in the harness is as supplied without any changes, DS may have an answer for the variance between using both methods that you tried. ;)

Jake J

korspich

Yes Jake i was suggesting there may be a problem with dynons wiring. Can you see any problem with leaving a usb stick in the rear port other than it is hard to find unless you stand on your head in the cabin ? ;D

trevpond

I put a USB port on the panel that is connected to one of the USB ports on the back of the unit. I load databases, routes and anything else I need to put into the Skyview unit and it works brilliantly

Using the harness USB port will tend to pick up noise in a flying ready panel. I feel it is on the harness purely as a useful port when you are testing prior to installation.

regards

Trev ;)

meljordan

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I use the harness USB connectors for everything I do with the SkyView screens and have no issues at all. Really, the port on the connector is no different from the ones on the back, unless of course, you have the RFI filter caps installed.

Mel

korspich

I have RFI filters installed.. i hadnt tried to screen save before installing them and had only one successful screen save with them. I am going to run a short usb cable from one of the ports on the back and install the outlet onto my instrument panel. this will probably solve the problem. I like the new 3.2 updates which make the screen much more readable

korspich

could anyone tell me what the usb cable extension they are using to connect to the instrument panel is called?

korspich

Thank you Mike these forums are full of helpful people..Thanks Jake I will take you up on that offer,.... the dynon skyview is working well and the new 3.2 update boxes make it much more readable. ;)

lalnaes

I think I've found out what the problem is. The problem seems to be the RF filters that many of us have installed on the harness connectors. Instead of connecting the memory stick to the USB connector on the harness, I plugged it directly into one of the two USB ports on the back of the panel. Now I can take as many screen shots as I like without any problems at all.